News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Double Dragon - G. Rinzi Roma

drclaw

This is an unusual badge recently sold on bay. The vendor in Portugal described the maker as "G.Rinzi - Roma" and size 53 mm. Images from ebay.

The successful bidder had 705 ebay feedbacks so we're likely to see this again soon.

It is a Second Class, Third Grade sash badge from the spade design between each petal or arm of the badge. The First and Second Grades have a five-petaled flower between each arm, while the Third Grade has an angular or spade shaped design. Some European made insignia have however been encountered with the spade design badge accompanying a First or Second Grade breast star.

No makers mark appear on the images so it is unclear where "G. Rinzi - Roma" is derived from.

The centre coral stone is carved with the Chinese shou ("longevity") symbol. Unusually, the stone has been flattened no doubt to make carving the pattern easier.

What is MOST unusual about this specimen is the frilly(!) brown ribbon suggesting it was worn as a breast badge. These badges were intended to be sash badges although recipients often wore them as neck badges. This is the first time I've seen one as a breast badge.

The standard sash badge clasp appears to be missing although it might be concealed by the ribbon.

It's possible that the recipient originally commissioned it as a breast badge although it is almost impossible to prove either way. Does anyone know what European style of breast ribbon this is?

Probably a specimen more of curiosity value I might suggest.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-11630-0-72181900-1367116518.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-11630-0-11337800-1367116589.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-11630-0-12466300-1367116625.jpg

Curiosità indeed!

The vendor in Portugal described the maker as "G.Rinzi - Roma" and size 53 mm.

No makers mark appear on the images so it is unclear where "G. Rinzi - Roma" is derived from.

Exactly!

One possibility - mark on the upper part of the ring ;)

The successful bidder had 705 ebay feedbacks so we're likely to see this again soon.

:lol:

Does anyone know what European style of breast ribbon this is?

I tell you one thing - this metal bar on the ribbon is typical for portuguese (and spanish) awards

I tell you one thing - this metal bar on the ribbon is typical for portuguese (and spanish) awards

Hmmm, I suspected as much. That aligns with the item being located in Portugal.

But not it being made by an Italian manufacturer. Unless a Portugese / Spanish recipient commissioned it whilst visiting Rome ... from an obscure Italian jeweller ... when there were plenty of well known Portugese and Spanish jewelers then.

Guess we'll never know whether this badge + breast ribbon ensemble was an original marriage or a later invention.

Edited by drclaw