News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hanseatic Campaign

OTTER76

Hi fellows. Napoleonic Wars is not really my field, but I liked this medal when I saw it and grab it altogether with a Hesse-Cassel one.

Do you like it? Is it silver or other metal? what about the ribbon? I presumed they were broader, and this one is thin.

Any thoughs are most appreciated. Thanks,

Regards,Alex

• 4 years later...

Thanks Alex for your reply. I knew when I got this one from Emedals some years ago, the ribbon was not period. But somewhere in time I got second thoughts on the originality of the medal itself looking at other reference pictures, and since then could not get a straight forward opinion about it. To me it is maybe too shiny and perhaps light for a napoleonic piece of this type. I realized it was an impulsive buy and knew little about it. Got to regret it. 

17 hours ago, jaba1914 said:

This medals were allways made of silver except the gold version.

The ribbon bar is not from the period.

Kind regards Alex

• 6 months later...

Hello Otter76,

That is a beautiful example that you have there.

One minor point. I think that you may have the ribbon mounted backwards. It should be red on the left, white on the right. Check it out, I could be wrong.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

I wonder if the heavier or thicker font, as well as the pronounced third ring around the rim is due to cleaning or normal wear. The example with the red background looks untouched. The other looks almost mint. Otherwise, yours looks okay to my tired eyes. 

• 8 months later...

I think its good. The Hansa legion actually were issued these in time to wear during the 1815 campaign, where I think they served in France and Paris. It should be real silver. Also, as I recall there were about about 850-880  silver ones awarded and newspapers indicate a few more in later years to veterans. 

I found an interesting newsparer reference to one stolen in the post from 1848 ! 

On 13/02/2018 at 15:21, Mike McLellan said:

I wonder if the heavier or thicker font, as well as the pronounced third ring around the rim is due to cleaning or normal wear. The example with the red background looks untouched. The other looks almost mint. Otherwise, yours looks okay to my tired eyes. 

Thanks, the red backing its mine piece

On 31/10/2018 at 16:41, Ulsterman said:

I think its good. The Hansa legion actually were issued these in time to wear during the 1815 campaign, where I think they served in France and Paris. It should be real silver. Also, as I recall there were about about 850-880  silver ones awarded and newspapers indicate a few more in later years to veterans. 

I found an interesting newsparer reference to one stolen in the post from 1848 ! 

Great tips Ulsterman. Thank you too. 

• 10 months later...

Hello!

Here are a few infos:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/gemeinsame-kriegsdenkmunze-fur-die-hanseatische-legion-1815.html

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator:

Common War Memorial Coin for the Hanseatic Legion 1815

This war memorial coin was donated together by the 3 Hanseatic cities with council resolution in each of the 3 cities.
    (9 March 1815 Hamburg, 31 March 1815 Bremen, 7 June 1815 Lübeck) The medal was intended for all soldiers who fought during the campaign of 1813, 1814 in the Hanseatic Legion or stood in the field in the citizen guard. The Hanseatic Legion was a unit made up of volunteers recruited to support the cavalry under Colonel Tettendorf in the 3 Hanseatic cities. The troop strength was approximately 3,800 men, including officers, doctors and civil servants. The stamps of the medal were made by G. Loos in Berlin. About 4400 medals were made in silver and 12 in gold. The gold medals were awarded to statesmen at the Congress of Vienna. Later, another 18 gold medals without eyelets were delivered to Lübeck. 6 were awarded by the city of Lübeck as a gift of honour. 5 medals were ordered privately. The medal had to be applied for. A proof of belonging to the contingent had to be presented and in the case of soldiers who had already been dismissed, the honourable farewell. Until the award ceremony, the persons received a patent entitling them to receive it.

Round silver medal with edge. At the top a large eyelet.

Front side:

Based on an oak tree 3 oval signs with the city coats of arms of the 3 cities.
        On the left Bremen, in the middle Lübeck and on the right Hamburg.
        Above it you can see foliage. Above at the edge the bent old writing:
        - God - was - with - us - small below the pedestal - LOOS -

Back side:

At the edge a wide ring on top with the writing: - Hanseatic - Legion -
        Below the city names: - Lübeck. - Bremen. - Hamburg. –
        In the enclosed field the 5-line German font:
        - The -/- patriotic -/- fight -/- 1813. - 1814. -/- in - memory -.
        Below a cross in Johanniter/Maltese form.

Band:

red/white 35 mm wide.