News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The following group is to Sergeant and later Inspector Philip Robert "Buck" Adams, Palestine Police, and consists of the Colonial Police medal for Gallantry with a Clasp for Gallantry, this being the first Clasp ever issued and the only one for Palestine out of only nine ever awarded. General Service Medal Bars Palestine (1936-39) and Palestine 1945-48, Defence Medal, War Medal and Colonial Police Long Service and Good Conduct. It appears that Buck is entitled to a further Clasp to the GSM, that of "Canal Zone" Research is on going re this. Buck Adams Gallantry on two occasions earned the CPM (G) and Clasp but like a lot of awards for clandestine work in Palestine the citations were not Gazetted but I feel the Medal was probably for an incident in Jericho in 1939 and outlined in attachment.

Buck Adams Died in 1986 and his fulsome obituary is also attached.

I hope this group also pleases those with an interest.

Peter

Hi Nick,

I have obtained copies of London Gazette but only the awards are listed, the citation is not, coupled with the fact that the Palestine Police OCA are also silent on the subject I conclude that it is a sensitive matter. I have a group to a PP officer who died not so long ago and he would not join the OCA as he was a "Marked Man" unquote. As I said above I assume he got the medal for the single handed retaking of Jericho but I do not know for sure.

I have another group of medals which are unique within the Palestine Police and probably throughout the Colonial Police Service. Kings Police Medal, British Empire Medal and Colonial Police medal, all for Meritorious Service, GSM Bars Palestine (1936-39) and Palestine 1945-48, Defence and War Medal to Superintendent Albert Edward Conquest, born Luton 1902 and joined PP in 1929. a very able officer in Counter Intelligence and progressed through the ranks. He was very successful and was marked down for assassination. He told friends that he had a presentiment that he would never leave the Holy Land Dead or Alive. He never did.

Peter

Thanks for comments I am glad they please, I have reduced my PP collection dramatically and it is now quite small but select and consists of groups containing Orders and Decorations with the exception of one groups which has a sad story behind it and I will give it a good home for as long as I can.

I have listed a Group under the Forum (Before I got used to the site) Colonial including South Africa. It is under the heading Bill Pilkington and I think makes a good read for those interested.

Listed here is a group to Cyril Oswald Kennedy, a brave Scot and worthy Policeman, the group is British Empire Medal for Gallantry, General Service Medal bars Palestine (First insurrection 1936-1939 by Arab population) and Palestine 1945-48 (Second insurrection by Jewish population) Defence medal, War medal and Colonial Police long service medal. Cyril died in Poole, Dorset in 1983.

Kennedy 2.doc

Very,very cool. Charles Grant, a man I admired very much as a kid and who would have loved GMIC., served in the PP. I have always considered the PP an elite, special imperial police force. Ggiven some of the stories I heard as a kid -and I am certain they were watered down- I have always hoped for a book. I reckon someone with more fictional talent than me could write a great series of mystery novels based on the PP from 1928 -1948.

Hi Ulsterman,

There are several factual books on the PP, one of the best is "A Job Well Done" by Ted Horne BEM also "Bailing with a Teaspoon" by Douglas V Duff who wrote over 70 Fictional books including several Mystery novels about "Harding of the Palestine Police" There are more than a few biography type books also.

• 11 months later...

Hi there

earler this year I bought a group of 3 medals unique to Palestine police comprising of BEM KPM CPM to Assist Supt Albert Edward Conquest who was murdered/ kia on duty in April 1947 I bought them as stated the 3 awards.

can the person who sold these medals tell me if they were sold with the GSM PALESTINE/PALESTINE 1945-48 CLASPS as I would like to purchase the GSM as well to complete the group

I bought the medals from Aberdeen medals in March this year as a group of three awards as stated.

I would love to re unite the full grouping.

many thanks

• 8 months later...

To member from Ramsbottom,

My father served in Palestine. When he died recently I found a newspaper clip in his old wallet of Albert Conquest. I assume they must have known each other. I would be happy to send you the picture if you would send me a pic of his medals.

Regards

TonyB

Tambour1@btinternet.com

Edited by Tobenn