News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Battle of Callao Cross in Gold

Hello,

a couple of weeks ago, I've visited an antiques fair in Innsbruck.

Curiously to say, the only fine piece that attracted my attention was a South American piece, that I've purchased after a kind discussion with the seller.

It's a cross in gold for the battle of Callao, May 2nd, 1866. Pity that the suspension ring is missing and that one arm has an enamel damage, but I'm feeling quite happy for this curious and rather uncommon find. A mystery is how this decoration arrived in Austria...

An almost identical piece, was sold in Basel, at the Tammann sale on November 4th/5th, 2008, lot 747.

Some pictures of the obverse, reverse and of the mark, struck on the suspension loop:

Don't forget that Peru as with most of South America attracted many European settlers, adventurers and black sheep of the family during the 19th century. I have a friend in Hannover who is half-german, quarter-Chilean and a quarter cossack (the Chilean side was due to German evangelicals who fled Germany in the 19th century and found Southern Chile ideal for sheep farming). I can see no reason why an Austrian did not seek his fortune in Peru and later returned to his native land.

Paul

I do agree with Paul's opinion.

The seller said that he bought the Callao cross with other jewels, brooches and a few (already sold) austrian medals, from a family in Vorarlberg.

At an antiques fair, I would expect to find "usual" orders/medals. This one was a true surprise. If medals could speak...

Enzo

• 10 months later...

If there are still some gentlemen interested in the battle of Callao and its medals I will pick up the subject. For Peru the battle of Callao is the end of the Spanish intentions of recapturing its colonies. The story is more complex, but in any case the defeat of the Spanish Fleet in Callao was a very important event in our history. There are two battles related to this historical moment: The naval battle of Abtao, in Chile, and Callao in Perú. Sincé Chile, Bolivia and Perú fought together agains the common enemy there are decorations and medals of the three counties related to the events. Also the most beautifull and chasic naval monument in Peru is dedicated to this triumph. Will try to remember how to put pictures here and will post several medals

Eduardo

Dear Rogi, I prepared a full short account of the Batalla del Callao of May 2 1866. But are unable to "copy paste" it. I have been out of this fórum for very long. Used to post mainly WW I post cards. I have forgoten how to hang new stuff and I might have to write all the story again.

Eduardo

THE BATTLE OF CALLAO: MAY 2, 1866

In 1864 Spain send a fleet to the Pacific coast of South America. It was called the "Scientific Expedition" and indeed was composed of several scientists. It has been claimed by the South American countries involved in the events that came later, that it was an invasión expedition organized with the intention of re conquering the colonies they had lost 40 years earlier. It is difficult to accept now that such an endeavour would have been atempted with a 7 ship fleet, but probably, due to the events that followed it was considered a good momento to try and get some payments that the Spaniards claimed had not been done after the Independence wars.

The dead of a Basque farmer in northern Perú was a good excuse to transform the situation into a diplomatic and military one. Some Basque farmers had come to work at Talambo, a farm some 400 miles north of Lima, and they were being abused by the farm owners and authorities. At a given moment some of this men were taken to prison and their friends tried to free them. Unfortunatelly a Basque died in the skirmish and that was taken as an excuse by admiral Pareja, the commander of the fleet. He took the "Chincha Islands" (April 15, 1864) and begun taking huano (bird manure) that was the most important export of Perú at the time. They planed to pay themselves what was suposedly owed to them that way. At the first moment the president of Perú, General Pezet accepted the signature of a treaty that was not accepted by the rest of the country. Pezet was deposed and General Mariano Prado named himself president, disregarding the treaty and preparing for war.

In November 30, 1865 Adm. Pareja comited suicide after his ship "Covadonga" was captured by the chileans in front of the port of Chanchay, north of Lima. Next in comand was Commander Mendez Nuñes who bombed Valparaíso, the main Chilean port.

The first battle, ABTAO, was fought by the Chilean-Peruvian fleet in southern Chile the 7th of February 1866.The Spaniards had the worst part.

On 14 March Peru declared war on Spain and signed a defense treaty with Chile, Bolivia, and Ecuador whose representatives were meeting in Lima at the moment. In the morning of May 2, 1866 the Spanish fleet started bombing Callao but the cannons in the port resisted. During the battle José Gálvez, Secretary(Ministro) of Defense died when a bomb reached the tower from which he was comanding the battle. The fight continued until 5 PM when the Spanish fleet had to retire. After burying thier dead at San Lorenzo Island in front of the port, the fleet returned to Spain.