News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post WW2 Major General Uniform Tunic

What do you think is there any possibility to attach a name to the tunic?

Unfortunately the taylor's label is missing. I tried to put a name to it but I haven't got any access to databases, books which could help.

I thought CB, CBE, and the North Africa Star with the No. 8 attachment could help.

Thanks,

Balazs

The Medals on his uniform are as follows:-

Top Row - Order of the Bath / OBE.

Middle Row - 1939-45 Star / Africa Star (With 8th Army att) / Italy Star / France & Germany Star

Bottom Row - Defence Medal / War Medal 1939-45 (With Mentioned in Despatches Oak Leaf) / General Service Medal (With Mentioned in Despatches Oak Leaf) / Coronation Medal (QEII)

Certainly a distingushed wartime career, but not an unusual one. Most of the medals in this array were probably sported by thousands, however the two Mentioned in Despatches could provide a clue. It looks like he would probably have retired in the mid to late nineteen-fifties given that his last medal was the Coronation one. Was probably made Order of the Bath on retitrement.

Thanks for your help! I thought the CB-CBE pair is possible for the top row because both ribbon has the same width. The 2 MID's and The Africa Star with the 8th Army attachment could help to find the original owner, but my search wasn't successful, although I haven't got any access to regiment or other histories which can help...

Thanks,

Balazs

Thanks! I hope it too. What do you think is it possible that the MID is equivalent to the V-device on various US awards?

I think not. At least during Viet Nam, the "V" device was very commonly awarded with any decoration for someone who was actually in the war zone. It's my belief that the MID is more selective, for specific acts of merit. Perhaps more similar to the Commendation Medals for each service.

I'd equate the Military Cross (UK) to the Bronze Star and the Distinguished Service Order (UK) to the Silver Star. Unfortunately, until recently these two UK awards were restricted to officers.

Any thoughts from the UK side? Perhaps someone could comment on the comparisons between the Military Medal (MM) and Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) with US awards.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

I'd equate the Military Cross (UK) to the Bronze Star and the Distinguished Service Order (UK) to the Silver Star. Unfortunately, until recently these two UK awards were restricted to officers.

Any thoughts from the UK side? Perhaps someone could comment on the comparisons between the Military Medal (MM) and Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) with US awards.

Before 1993 the Military Cross was awarded to officers and the Military Medal to other ranks. They were merged that year to be the Military Cross only. The US equivalent is the Silver Star. The Distinguished Service Order (UK) is equivalent to the US Distinguished Service Medal (both Army & Navy variants). The Mentioned in Despatches (British spelling naturally) oak leaf was worn on the relevant campaign medal (in the case of our Major-General above - the first is on the France & Germany ribbon for 1944 and the second on the post WW2 General Service Medal ribbon. The MID is probably equivalent to the Bronze Star. I would suggest that a search for MID recipients post WW2 in any number of the post-colonial campaigns fought (Malaya, Palestine, Suez etc would yield results. I think Aden and certainly N. Ireland & the Falklands are a long time after retirement for this guy.

Thank you all for great answer on the MiD. That is a wonderful uniform. Despite not collecing this field, I would seriously consider a grouping like this if I came upon it.