News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help required to identify USA medals given to a Turkish Colonel in the KOREAN WAR

demir

Hi,

There are 5 medals in the photo awarded to martyr Turkish Colonel Nuri Pamir who was shot dead in Korea June 5, 1952.

The first one is the Turkish Independence War Medal, second the Turkish War Medal.

Then next 2 USA medals and I think last one is Korean. Will you please help me to recognize these medals.

Thanks

Demir

The one in the middle (the red ribbon and kind of maltese cross style medal) Is the Legion of Merit

I beleive the middle one is Korean as well.but 50s issue so it might be harder to find info. about it online. I will keep looking and post when I do :)

The last white looking medal is Korean, it is the Order of Military Merit 2nd class 을지장 Eulji Jang (my Korean might be a little off but thats the literal :)

it should be a kind of pinkish ribbon (it may have faded with time) it is 1950s issue, there have been re-issues of this award in 63,67 and more recently I think :S I can't recal the exact dates.

heres a link to a picture of one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Military_Merit_(Korea)

If the link doesn't work search Order of Military Merit (Korea) in wikipedia and you should see it :)

Edited by Rogi

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated. :love:

I look the net in order to find the unidentified medal but to no avail.

If you can find it (I am searching) :jumping: it would be wonderful.

All the best :)

Demir

This is a really unique grouping. Are any of his medals WW2 related I cannot imagine him escaping action through that entire war, especially being in the heat of Korea.

Hi,

He was born in 1901 and participated the Turkish Independence War when he was still at the Military High School.

He went to Kabul in 1940 to the Afghan Military Academy as teacher for 4 years.

He was the commander of the 241 th Infantry Regiment in Korea from 1951 until he died from shrapnel wound on June,5 1952

Turkey did not participated WWII.

Regards

Demir

He also has these medals: :whistle:

Afghanistan Nishan-i-Astour (the Order of the Star)

Republic of Korea War Service Medal (ROKWSM)

Republic of Korea Korea Service Veteran

2 Turkish language UN Korea War Medals

Regards

Demir

• 5 years later...

Hello Demir,

We talked to each other a few years ago in the Netherlands at a SRO meeting. I am researching Korean medals. This group, is it located in the museum in Ankara? Is it possible to ask them if they could give the number from the back of the Korean Ulchi medal, and is this star on the ribbon gold or silver? I asked the same questions with success in Istanbul military museum. Maybe they have more Korean war military merit medals in other medal groups?

Kind regards

Sampo

Hi,

Nice to hear from you. It was a great meeting.

These are Col. Nuri Pamir's medals from the Military Museum in Istanbul.  I will try to find out about the Ulchi Medal.

Best wishes.

Demir

2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Is the order award for this group typically awarded for valor?  How would he come to be awarded the Afghani award?

Hi,

He was born in 1901 and participated the Turkish Independence War when he was still at the Military High School.

He went to Kabul in 1940 to the Afghan Military Academy as teacher for 4 years.

He was the commander of the 241 th Infantry Regiment in Korea from 1951 until he died from shrapnel wound on June,5 1952

Turkey did not participated WWII.

Regards

Demir

On 24/05/2018 at 10:34, Sampo said:

Hello Demir,

We talked to each other a few years ago in the Netherlands at a SRO meeting. I am researching Korean medals. This group, is it located in the museum in Ankara? Is it possible to ask them if they could give the number from the back of the Korean Ulchi medal, and is this star on the ribbon gold or silver? I asked the same questions with success in Istanbul military museum. Maybe they have more Korean war military merit medals in other medal groups?

Kind regards

Sampo

Hi,

Here is a photo. It is 175. The star is yellow.

Best wishes

Demir

IMG_4857.JPG

Edited by demir

Hi Demir,

Thank you so much for this information, what a great medal and group. I was in Istanbul a few years ago and checked out the group of Yashin Tazici, which was awesome too. On this forum I also have seen the medalgroup of Rustu Erdelhun, and it was in Istanbul. But when I was there it was not on display! Do you have any contacts to be able to ask for the star colour and numberst on the Ulchi? And maybe if thee are any other groups containing Korean military merit medals?

The group of Erdelhun is here:

Cheers Sampo