News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAF Uniform Dating - Help Needed

The belt is sewn on, fixed to the back of the tunic, the tunic has Kings Crowns buttons, the inside is made of blue silk. The inside of the trousers is white.

Edited by bazsi

Hi Balazs,

It is certainly of a pattern before 1963, when I got mine - the clue is in the bottom button. On my No 1 HD uniform the bottom button is plain and is hidden behind the belt, while yours is a standard button with crown and eagle and sits below the belt - do you have the belt as well?

There is a guide to wartime RAF uniforms here http://www.ww2rafgroup.org/downloads/1940s%20RAF%20Uniform%20Guidance%20V3%20feb%202011.pdf and there is a photo of the 1960s pattern here http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/5/8/1/7/9/0/webimg/611077402_o.jpg you can see the plain bottom button.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help and fo the links! I thought I have to be aware with the bottom button, because it can be easily change to a standard button. What do you think it frequent?

Yes, it has the belt, it is hanging from the back side.

I am before the purchase now but I would like to be sure that it is an early post war uniform.

Thanks,

Balazs

Hi Balazs,

It wouldn't be possible just to change the bottom button to one with the crown and eagle, as it is mounted higher up and would still be hidden by the belt - although there would be a bulge in the belt! The photo in the second link shows the positioning - more images here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-British-RAF-Wool-No-1-Belted-Uniform-Tunic-Jacket-Blue-Grey-1960s-2523-/180993063989?pt=UK_Men_s_Suits_Tailoring&ssPageName=RSS%3AB%3ASHOP%3AGB%3A101&hash=item2a2406fc35&nma=true&si=JHEMLcOeVfejthImWpwQuSdPBas%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help. It is a great info, I am not worried about the button in the future. As I see, the inside is grey on the later tunics probably from the 60s, before it was blue? Could it be another crucial point on dating a tunic?

Balazs

Hi Balazs - the standard lining in my day was grey, but you could get the military tailors to make it with any colour you liked for a bit more money. The real show-offs had red silk linings - as the aristocratic members of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force fighter squadrons were said to have done.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the information. I thought that the colour of the lining is helpful for dating a tunic. The red silk lining is a very interesting info.

Balazs