News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarian gerbirgsjager cap, Karl era, and strap

So Prussian and Württemberg Gebirgs Artillery had red piping on their Bergmützen while Bavarian Gebirgs Artillery had black piping on their Bergmützen?

I have been following this interesting conversation. So am I to understand that there were Prussian troops that wore a Bergmütze? I knew of course about the Württemberg and Bavarian mountain/ski troops...but Prussian also? Please tell me more!!!

Hello!

Yes, of course. Some prussian units wore the mountain-uniforms during the battles in East-Prussia and the Carpathians.

Most of the caps were made in Bavaria, so I don´t know, which piping-colour they had. 5000 caps were sent to Heeresgruppe Eichhorn and later 6000 caps for Finland

There were Prussian Gebirgs Artillery units that wore them. One of the Bataillons in the 3rd JR Rgt was Prussian, they too wore them. Prussia had a good number of Gebirgs units.

Prussia had atleast 2-3 units of these types -> Gebirgs Artillery, Gebirgs MW, Gebirgs MG. 

@The Prussian Green for the 3rd JR Rgt, red as you said above for Gebirgs Artillery. I was told Gebirgs MG (Minus the 2 komps in the W.G.B) and Gebirgs MW didn't wear Bergmützen

Edited by KMB

Hello : Nigel Thomas and Ramiro Bujeiro saids : The 21 Mountain Artillery ,15 Prussian , two of Wurttemberg and four Bavarian were grouped into six bataillons . On 21 january 1916 Prussian and Bavarian replaced their M 1914 field grey ski caps with standard field artillery headgear . also saids that Wurttemberg batteries wore the M1914 ski litewka with black collar piping and field grey shoulder straps with black unit insignia . 

Those first 2 are nice, but something odd..I thought Württemberg Bergmütze only had wool visors..Since they are private purchased models, anything is possible! Maybe they had a 3rd option, black leather, grey leather and wool unlike Bavaria and Prussia where they had black and grey visor.

Edited by KMB

I´d like to show my mountain-photos

1) bavarian Mountain-Artillery (GA = Gebirgsartillerie)

2) Schneeschuh-Bataillon Nr.3 (collar numnber!)

3) Musiscians of Schneeschuh-Bataillon 3

4) Schneeschuh-Ersatz-Abteilung with Windjacke (Windcheater)

5) unknown unit

6) württemberg. Ersatz-Gebirgs-MG-Zug

7) württemberg. Gebirgs-Regiment

8) Post-War

b. Gebirgsartillerie (Stab, Schulterklappe, Bayernborte).jpg

Schneeschuh-Bataillon 3 (Kragenabzeichen).jpg

Schneeschuh-Bataillon III (Musiker).JPG

Schneeschuh-Ers.Abt. (Windjacke).jpg

Skifahrer.jpg

württ._Ers_Geb.MG-Zug_(Gruppe_mit_MG).jpg

württ. Gebirgs-Regiment.jpg

Reichswehr (2).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

• 3 months later...
    On 6/5/2017 at 02:04, The Prussian said:

I´d like to show my mountain-photos

1) bavarian Mountain-Artillery (GA = Gebirgsartillerie)

2) Schneeschuh-Bataillon Nr.3 (collar numnber!)

3) Musiscians of Schneeschuh-Bataillon 3

4) Schneeschuh-Ersatz-Abteilung with Windjacke (Windcheater)

5) unknown unit

6) württemberg. Ersatz-Gebirgs-MG-Zug

7) württemberg. Gebirgs-Regiment

8) Post-War

b. Gebirgsartillerie (Stab, Schulterklappe, Bayernborte).jpg

Schneeschuh-Bataillon 3 (Kragenabzeichen).jpg

Schneeschuh-Bataillon III (Musiker).JPG

Schneeschuh-Ers.Abt. (Windjacke).jpg

Skifahrer.jpg

württ._Ers_Geb.MG-Zug_(Gruppe_mit_MG).jpg

württ. Gebirgs-Regiment.jpg

Reichswehr (2).JPG

The men in this photo are soldiers of the Weimar Reichswehr.

22 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Yes! Like I wrote: 8) Post-war.

I´d like to know something about the cap and breast badge of the man in the middle...

Any ideas?

Perhaps he is a bergfuhrer , a civilian one . The Weimar Army officially not was permitted Mountain units , but  in practice these units existed . one was a Infantry Bataillon located in Goslar whose chief one time resulted to be certain Erwin Rommel .

Hello!

Never heard, that Rommel was in Goslar...

Aftre armistice he went back to his home-company in Weingarten (Christmas 1918). In march 1919 he commanded the "Sicherheits-Kompagnie 32" in Friedrichshafen; in june 1919 he became commander of Schtz.Rgt.25.

1919 and 1920 he was in Lindau, Münsterland and Westfalia.

1924-1929 he served with 13th Inf.Rgt.

No mention, he served in Goslar

Edited by The Prussian

• 3 years later...

the Prussian , take a look to the book Rommel of Brigadier Young. 

Rommel was from April 1932 as Major,commander of the third Bataillon of the 17th Infantry Regiment ,a Mountain Unit stationed in Goslar . 

In fact was decisive point of his career , When he was given the command in 1932 Hitler was not Chancellor , In September of 1934 Hitler paid a visit to Goslar , Rommels Bataillon was in charge of  the honours and security.or so thought Rommel . with great disgust he received the notification that the security wil be per count of the SS , He went to a local hotel were Goebbels and Himmler were taking breakfast and expressed his convictions . They gave him the reason and as it was as Rommel called the Attention of Hitler for first time