News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of ?

I just received this (along with 2 more medals) from my Aunt and Uncle as a birthday present (although my birthday is 2 weeks from today :D)

Any help to determine, the date, what it is etc is greatly appreciated :) It came in what appears to be the original case, it is marked VM and appears to be a silver marking (VM for V. Mayer, from Vienna?)

I beleive it is a Montenegro Medal, but what for?

DSCN7284_zps146cdf62.jpg

The case interior:

DSCN7278_zps4bb6f3d0.jpg

Edit: I forgot to take a picture of the back of the medal :( I will have to do this tomorrow! :(

And the hallmark, appears to be a 2 and a ladies head and VM (for V. Mayer of Vienna?)

RSCN7302_zps673a2c32.jpg

Thanks all for any help :)

Edited by Rogi

Great birthday present :)

I think that that is the Silver Medal for Zeal (Medalja za revnost). It was introduced in 1895, and it had two grades, gold and silver.

Hallmarks are Austrian, I believe that you correctly identified the left one, the right one is for purity of silver, in this case 900/1000.

Anyway a beautiful medal in it's original, rare box, my congrats.

Regards,

Radmilo

Hello Rogi,

it´s an serbian medal and the hallmark VM is Vincenz Mayer Wien, he

manufactured some serbian awards.

Regards

Andreas

Greetings Andreas,

Actually Rogi is right, it's Montenegrin medal, not Serbian, at that time Serbia and Montenegro were separate states.

Regards,

Radmilo

Greetings Andreas,

Actually Rogi is right, it's Montenegrin medal, not Serbian, at that time Serbia and Montenegro were separate states.

Regards,

Radmilo

Thank you both :) it could be serbian or montenegro but

It also doesn't look like standard skrip for a "Serbian" style medal, I'll have to post the skip on the reverse, its very interesting :) plus I beleive the ruler on the front is a Montenegran leader?

Thank you all for the comments :)

For the Hallmark, do you beleive it might be later part of the 1890s?

Edited by Rogi

Thank you both :) it could be serbian or montenegro but

It also doesn't look like standard skrip for a "Serbian" style medal, I'll have to post the skip on the reverse, its very interesting :) plus I beleive the ruler on the front is a Montenegran leader?

Thank you all for the comments :)

For the Hallmark, do you beleive it might be later part of the 1890s?

You are welcome Rogi.

It's Montenegrin without a doubt. Yes, you are right on the front is Nikola I Petrović, Prince and later first and the last King of Montenegro. Inscription on the front side: "Nikola I Prince of Montenegro". As for the hallmark as far as I know they were using this type from 1867 until 1921. I am not an expert when it comes to Montenegrin awards and I am not able to help you determine period of it's production. But I know that there are at least two variants of this medal, one on a simple round ring and one on the ellipse. Looks like yours is the 2nd type. Once again my congrats, excellent piece!

Regards,

Radmilo

When I was talking about types I know, I wasn't putting them in chronological order. So your medal could be type 1, I'm not sure which type is older.

I have no idea either on types :D I was just guessing because it doesn't have a round ring to attach it to the ribbon, so I thought initially it was type 2 :) after the example. I'll try to search some more on the order but not a lot is poping up on the internet.

It is very interesting to see that the medal itself has survived this long but the box too, its in bad shape but it looks much better than some other more recent boxes :D

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions :)

Edited by Rogi

..the informations about types comes from the book Měřička Václav: Černohorská vyznamenání (Montenegrian decorations)... The type on the photo (from my collection) should be 2.edition from year 1908...

Fantastic, The medals turn up not that infrequently but to have a nicely hallmarked piece in case of issue really takes the biscuit, what a present better than the crap socks and underwear I get for my birthday (what with the 2 miniatures you have been very lucky, perhaps you should be like the Queen and have two birthdays a year).

Paul

..the informations about types comes from the book Měřička Václav: Černohorská vyznamenání (Montenegrian decorations)... The type on the photo (from my collection) should be 2.edition from year 1908...

Thank you for that clarification. I do not have proper literature when it comes to decorations of Montenegro.

I saw one more book I believe to be excellent, "Crnogorska odlikovanja" by Milan Jovićević. Printed in 1982 so a bit harder to get.

I noticed that this medal is very similar to Medal for heroism (Медаља за јунаштво) from 1862. One of the differences, apart from inscription on the back side and that part above medal, is that the Medal for heroism had the inscription written with Russian alphabet and Medal for zeal with Serbian.

Just for quick clarification, the one I have is type 1 (is that the 1st issue of the medal?) a 1895 or so year issue? and the second edition is 1908?

After Radmilo brought it up, could it be that they used the same die for the "Medal of Heroism" for the medal of Zeal? with small alterations in the wiriting on the reverse?

Edited by Rogi

Just for quick clarification, the one I have is type 1 (is that the 1st issue of the medal?) a 1895 or so year issue? and the second edition is 1908?

After Radmilo brought it up, could it be that they used the same die for the "Medal of Heroism" for the medal of Zeal? with small alterations in the wiriting on the reverse?

I believe that you are correct, yours is according to information Iver shared with us 1895 type.

Here's just for comparison Medal for Heroism and 1908 type Golden medal for zeal. Maybe not the same die, but the same solution.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-7937-0-23065800-1370437242.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-7937-0-99861800-1370437252.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just noticed an interesting auction, Golden Medal for Zeal, 1895 type, made by "V. Mayer's Söhne" with box and document! 
    I don't remember seeing documents for these medals before...
    LINK
    01.thumb.JPG.fe1dd46cee480f7a6cb8b66715860764.JPG
    02.thumb.jpg.dda04adbc457ee5792548e451ba2e3c5.jpg
    03.thumb.jpg.ea76b135821c4cef76075c3990d473f8.jpg

Edited by paja