News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great East Asia War Medal Replicas

JapanX

• Replies 166
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

... do you think they were actually made this way? I think they were probably painted to sex them up to try to make more $$$$. :unsure:

Naaa

They were actually made "this way" :)

And they have their own box and different inlay ;)

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

As an educator, I've put together a collection to share with my students. I've neglected Japanese Militaria for far too long and finally bit the bullet by making some online purchases in order to put a small display case together.

I literally just purchased this example for a few dollars. I'm confident that it's a post war example, but I'm having trouble nailing down exactly what it is. Help would be immensely appreciated!

Best,

Joe T

Edited by GIZMO8Z

Hi Joe,

yes, this is post war replica of Great East Asia War medal.

Imperial Edict No. 417 of 21 June 1944 promulgated original medal.

Obverse has a chrysanthemum crest in the center of crossed swords on a eight-point star of rays. The rim has engraved cherry blossoms. The reserve shows the characters "Great East Asia War" in the center of a Japanese shield. The bar is made apart from the suspender and passes over the ribbon, with the usual four characters for "war medal".

Ribbon is 36 mm. watered silk, pea-green with 3 mm. dark blue, 3 mm. light blue and 3 mm. dark green lier edge stripes for the Navy, Air Forces and Army.

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Top line is 'Replica of the Great East Asia War Medal.'

Bottom plate reads 'Ranan, Korea Division, Hoeryong Platoon. August 15, 1945 located in North Korea, moved to Khabarovsk. Dec. 18, 1946, returned home via Siberia.'

Ranan and Hoeryong are in present-day North Korea.

Edited by fukuoka

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

This is uber-awesome.

Naaa

They were actually made "this way" :)

And they have their own box and different inlay ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_9837.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9836.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9838.JPG

I don't think this is true for every instance - I've seen a few of these "gold mum" medals with the plain, no writing box, and different inserts. My guess is somebody thought to maybe spice these up with the gold, then other makers caught on and copied them, hence the variation.