News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, 2cl breast star

utopis

A rarely seen breast star. This specimen is a little damaged: pin missing, four pearls broken and a few cracks to the enamel. Nevertheless, I think it's always nice to see this rare pieces.

This specimen is a little damaged: pin missing, four pearls broken and a few cracks to the enamel.

Yes, but all four rivets are in the place and the enamel is practically undamaged!

Is it yours? :whistle:

Very nice! This is one of my favourite decorations so thanks for posting. The damaged pearls should not be too difficult to replace either with sea/freshwater pearls or pearlescent beads.

From the information I have been able to source, the Order was founded by President Li Yuanhong on 7 October 1916 in five classes (or six grades):

1) First Class Grand Cordon - breast star and sash badge

2) Second Class Grand Cordon - breast star and sash badge

3) Second Class breast star

4) Third Class - neck badge

5) Fourth Class - breast ribbon

6) Fifth Class - breast ribbon

Some Chinese sources say it was awarded to senior military and political leaders to commemorate their contributions during the 1911 Revolution with the level of award dependent on their status or rank.

However, it was also awarded to foreigners and perhaps to Chinese citizens who might have had nothing to do with the 1911 Revolution. Sir John Jordan received the First Class and his insignia was sold by Spink in April 2011. According to the London Gazette dated 5 October 1920, he received the award: “On the occasion of his retirement from the post of His Majesty’s Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary at Peking, and from His Majesty’s Diplomatic Service.” Jordan was British Minister in Beijing from 28 November 1910 to 1 March 1920, a period which included the 1911 Revolution.

It appears that the Central Mint in Tianjin was the exclusive manufacturer of this, and the Order of the Golden Grain, although not all insignia bear the Central Mint's name stamp (for example your breast star above is stamped with the name of the Order only).

Are there any other markings e.g. on the suspension pin hook?

I have a copy of the 1921-2 China Year Book (Tientsin Press, 1921). Interestingly, the section on Chinese orders and decorations (page 969) describes the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain as part of the Order of the Golden Grain (Jiahe Zhang) and NOT a separate award:

"The Chia-ho Decoration is, however, full of variety, for the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Chia-ho Decorations are sub-divided into those which carry the Pao-kuang ({ao means "Precious" and Kuang means "brilliance") and those without it. And although both the First and Second Classes of Chia-ho and Wen-hu Decorations carry the Ta-shou (which means the Great Sash), the Second Class Chia-ho Decoration is given sometimes without the sash. A Chia-ho Decoration which carries both the Ta-Shou and the Pao-Kuang is higher than the one without either Ta-Shou or Pao-Kuang or both. So, the highest Chia-ho Decoration is the First Class Ta-Shou Pao-kuang Chia-ho Decoration or the First Class Golden Crop Decoration with Precious Brilliance and the Great Sash. The following is the full list: -

I. First Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(This is divided into two grades, the one with the Pao-kuang and the other without. But generally the Great Sash is given with the decoration).

II. Second Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(This is divided into four grades (a) one that carries both Brilliance and Sash, (b) one that carries Brilliance without the Sash, © one that carries the Sash without Brilliance and (d) one devoid of both the Sash and Brilliance).

III. Third Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(This is divided into two grades namely the one with Brilliance and the other without it.)

IV. Fourth Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(Same as the Third Class).

V. Fifth Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(Same as the Third Class).

VI. Sixth Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(There is only one grade and no other classification).

VII. Seventh Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(Same as the Sixth Class).

VIII. Eighth Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(Same as the Sixth Class).

IX. Ninth Class Chia-ho Decoration.

(Same as above)."

Would you have any other information to share on the Order? I've been trying to track down the original Decree from 1916 but have been unsuccessful.

Edited by drclaw

In his article titled "Orders of the Golden Grain and Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, Republic of China (1912-1928), published in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America (May-June 2002), King Kwok gives the example of Wang Chih Chang who according to the Biographies of Prominent Chinese (Shanghai, around 1925) received the Second Class Precious Brilliant Golden Grain sash set in 1921, followed by the Second Class Golden Grain sash set in 1922. King writes:

"According to the established belief, the OPBGG should be higher than the OGG in the sequence/hierarchy of wearing, beacuse the OPBGG contains the more precious rubies and pearls. However , the fact that Wang Chih Chang received the Second Class Sash Set of the OGG after his award of the Second Class Sash Set of the OPBGG contradicts this commonly accepted view. The two Orders should therefore be considered as totally separate orders. Indeed, it is doubtful whether there was a well-established sequence/hierarchy of wearing for various medals, decorations and orders awarded in China between 1912 and 1928. The photographs of different Chinese military or civil figures reveal that the sequence/hierarchy of wearing might be a matter of personal preference."

Edited by drclaw

I have a copy of the 1921-2 China Year Book (Tientsin Press, 1921). Interestingly, the section on Chinese orders and decorations (page 969) describes the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain as part of the Order of the Golden Grain (Jiahe Zhang) and NOT a separate award

Very interesting Gavin! :beer:

angry.gif :mad:

Beware guys! This one was offered to me. Luckily I found this page: http://www.greatestcollectibles.com/order-precious-brilliant-golden-grain-badge-6900/

that shows that this piece was sold in January 2012. Not only is it the same piece but even the same pictures. I think the case is clear. Just another crook how tries to sell stuff with stolen images.

So if you get the same images I strongly advice you not to send money to this person.

Oh, how I despise these people. They are even worse than the fakers. At least they have the decency to actually send you what you paid for. If it then turns out to be a fake it's your own fault because you didn't do your homework.

For shame. Just another reminder to only pay with Paypal or buy only through a reputable auction house.

Back to the discussion on the Order .... The fact that the warlords themselves are photographed wearing the breast stars of BOTH the Golden Grain and the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain is further evidence that they were two separate Orders.

While I've not been able to access the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain 1916 Decree, the 1912 Decree and Regulations (on the Golden Grain and the Grand Order) state that where a recipient later receives a higher award (of the Golden Grain), the insignia of the lower award must be returned to the Civil Service Bureau.

Back to the discussion on the Order .... The fact that the warlords themselves are photographed wearing the breast stars of BOTH the Golden Grain and the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain is further evidence that they were two separate Orders.

+ both orders had "full set" of classes...

While I've not been able to access the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain 1916 Decree, the 1912 Decree and Regulations (on the Golden Grain and the Grand Order) state that where a recipient later receives a higher award (of the Golden Grain), the insignia of the lower award must be returned to the Civil Service Bureau.

Same story with japanese order of Golden Kite ;)

These were gorgeous and signed by President Xu Shichang, who was the longest serving President of the Warlord Period (10 October 1918 - 2 June 1922) and also the ONLY civilian President of the Early Republic excluding acting Presidents.

I was watching these on YJA through a third party auction bid site but it deleted them without showing the final price.

Did you see what they went for?

The fact that the warlords themselves are photographed wearing the breast stars of BOTH the Golden Grain and the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain is further evidence that they were two separate Orders.

Marshal Tsao-iun (head of the Chihli military qlique in 1923)

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

A fine 5th Class in its presentation case. It appears to be missing the four screw heads on the reverse?

This was recently auctioned by Carsten Zeige for 3500 Euros excl. buyers' premium.

http://www.zeige.com/en/index2.html

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-11630-0-99535500-1379803070.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-11630-0-40231600-1379803105.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-11630-0-25418900-1379803139.jpg

Edited by drclaw