News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, 2cl breast star

utopis

• 6 months later...

Ah, it's the Second Class Grand Cordon set. Perfect condition too.

Like the Golden Grain, the Second Class was divided into a Grand Cordon and a Breast star only award.

The 1912 Decree establishing the Order of the Golden Grain specified the Second Class as a grand cordon award.

According to Robert Werlich (1900), the "Special Second Class" comprising the breast star only was instituted in 1916.

Incidentally, this was the same year that Li Yuanhong established the Order of the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain.

Without access to the 1916 regulations, I can't be sure whether it was:

* Yuan Shikai who introduced the Special Second Class in 1916 for the Golden Grain, and Li Yuanhong who followed this for the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain; OR

* Li Yuanhong who introduced the Special Second Class when instituting the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, and then introduced it for the Golden Grain

As to why, your guess would be as good as mine. Perhaps by splitting the Second Class into a junior and senior grade, that accommodated more levels in recipients' military rank?

• 4 years later...
    On 22/06/2013 at 03:05, drclaw said:

These were gorgeous and signed by President Xu Shichang, who was the longest serving President of the Warlord Period (10 October 1918 - 2 June 1922) and also the ONLY civilian President of the Early Republic excluding acting Presidents.

I was watching these on YJA through a third party auction bid site but it deleted them without showing the final price.

Did you see what they went for?

Hi Gavin,  I was just reading this interesting series of old posts on the OPBGG, also among my favorite Chinese ODMs. I have 1st and 2nd class sets and either 4th or 5th (can't recall), and the past discussion is making me want to dig them out tomorrow to enjoy them as I haven't seen them in a while.

What firm is YJA that you mentioned please?

Also in the photo of Tsao-kun that JapanX shows, we see on his bottom row at left (as viewed) what seems to be a White Eagle Order star. I don't recall seeing others wearing this great rarity. Has any new information been published about China's Order of the White Eagle?

Thanks, Frank Draskovic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Frank,

Long time no hear! YJA is short for Yahoo Japan Auctions where Chinese orders appear from time to time. 

I wrote an article in the White Eagle for the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America. It can be found in Volume 64 Nov-Dec 2013 Number 6.