News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What was a "DPCR" Singapore Police ca. 1950?

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Thought I'd posted this back in the mid-00s here, but can't turn it up on a "search."

I have a George VI General Service Medal bar "Malaya" to 774 DPCR Loh Kum Wah, Singapore Police.

That's at least 1 letter too many for anything I can imagine the rank title being. :banger:

District Police Constable Reservist? Or?....

It's just one of those things that NOT knowing adds to my 2 AM frettings. :anmatcat:

• 4 weeks later...

If not already known, the recipients name indicates that he was of Chinese ethnic origin - the ranks of the Singapore Police Force being drawn mostly - but certainly not exclusively - from amongst the two largest ethnic communities in Singapore, i.e., Chinese and Malay

Guest Rick Research

One of the more interesting things about this "successful pre-Vietnam" campaign, for me, is the bizarre disparity in length of duty required by police (most at risk) versus military personnel (the RAF being a particular example) to "qualify." for this medal.

Bizarre, but pretty typical of the notion thast soldiers are somehow braver, more worthy etc than yer humble PC Plod. Sheer B***ocks IMHO, but quite persistent. It's noteworthy, I think, that the first female soldier in the US Army to see 'combat' - shots fired at her be an angry enemy - was apparently an MP, who was involved in the US operations in Panama against Noriega. I'd guess that no one expected her unit to meet any angry Panamanians, so it was deemed 'acceptable' for her to accompany the unit. 'And then life happens.'