News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An M15 Bavarian Officer's Kugelhelm

“Better than s*x” was my first thought when I saw this helmet… How special is this? Of course I reviewed this after just a little while…
    Anyway, this is a really special helmet. It’s a late war model 1915 Pickelhaube for a Bavarian artillery officer. There are several differences between the M15 and the previous model…

In 1915 a new pickelhaube was introduced for enlisted men. The M15 had a removable spike (of ball top) and a leather chinstrap on the M91 sideposts. To look the same (with helmet cover) as the helmets for enlisted men, a new officer’s model was also introduced. The officer’s model had also a removable spike with bayonet fitting and M91 side posts. The officer was thus able to remove the spike and he could replace the shiny metal cinscales by a leather chinstrap if he wanted. For an officer this was a good thing, because now he was less spotted…
    The metal fittings of these helmets were in fact the same as on the previous model, but most of the time thinner metal or ersatz materials were used to conserve materials.
    The three rivets on the chinscales are also indicators for beïng a model 1915.
    Mostly the shell is made from fiber, however leather examples do exist.

This particular helmet is a really late example. The lid of the helmet carrier is dated Mai 10 1918.
    The M15 removable ball top (adopted in march 1916 by the Bavarian artillery) is clearly visible, the M91 posts and the three rivets on the chinscales are also there. Because in February 1914 all Bavarian pickelhauben got rounded chinscales, I can’t determine if this helmet was Feldartillerie or Fussartillerie.
    You can also see the spine on the back of the helmet has rusted a bit and left a mark on the helmet cover, which prooves that they were at least for a very long time togeteher.
    This cover however should normally be made in two pieces, one to cover the shell and one to cover the ball top. In case the ball top was removed, the cover for the top could be left away also… Not in this case so it seems, because the cover is in one piece…
    The liner has no reenforcement strips (don’t know the exact word for it…) and hangs kinda loose in the shell.
    The leather linerband is straight, also just to save material.
    The neck guard is very thin leather (also to conserve material).
    The carriyng box is as ersatz as can be, it’s made of cardboard and and has no lining at all. Some straps are even made of cloth…

For me it is a very interesting helmet and since I’ve seen only two of these (in beautifull condition) since 1973, I suppose it must be very rare too…

Enjoy the pictures,

Adler 1

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: All of that effort--and expense!--for a completely outmoded helmet! 1918! :speechless1: All of that... and he didn't leave a name label on any of that? :banger:

Thanks for your comments gentlemen!

Adler 1

PS Rick, sorry, I can't help it there's no label :whistle: ... guess the helmet costed to much and the poor guy couldn't afford a label anymore :unsure: and then he just wrote his name (in pencil) in the lid of the box. Or maybe the guy had ordered this helmet, but got killed :violent: before he could go back to the shop... and then the shop owner got stuck with this brandnew helmet :o ... or so?

Edited by Adler 1