News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Naval Officer's Uniform

I received this uniform, with a lot of other items, from a friend of mine who recently retired from the Coast Guard. He knows that I collect this stuff and that I would give it a good home. With this lot, came the flag in the background.

He picked it up in 1987, during some joint operations.

The uniform is for a Senior Lt. There were two holes for badges in the jacket, so I added the academy badge, which I believe my be for medical. It is the only jetton I have, so it is for display only. Also, the hat is for a much more senior officer, so is not a good match, but good enough for a basic display.

Special thanks to my wife, HoydenR, who took these great photos for me as well as translated the badge(Kirov Medical School). She is learning Russian now and uses my stuff for practice.

Guest Rick Research

The buttons will be dated to tell you when this was made. Make sure you check them all so you don't pick the one that happened to be replaced.

That rank wouldn't have a white academy badge.

PM me your address and I send you summat appropriate for a junior naval officer. :cool:

Guest Rick Research

Are the holes side by side or one over the other? How far apart--would two diamond badges fit without rubbing?

Guest Rick Research

White academies are for more senior officers. You need ... well.... I'll send you what you need there. :whistle:

Just wanted to be sure one of the holes wasn't for a submarine badge. That close side by side would be two school badges.

I thought it was pretty ironic that Paul has had that Military Academy Badge for so many years without even realizing that it was the Military Medical Academy.

It has this on it.

ВМА ИМ Кирова, MI Kirov Military Medical Academy

Edited by Hoyden R.

So, what Paul hasn't let on is that I am a bit OCD. The thought of shooting this Soviet Officer's Jacket naked, meaning without the proper under clothing, had me giving him dirty looks and grumbling.

Me: What kind of shirt goes under this Soviet Naval Officer's great coat?
    Paul: I don't know. I'll go look it up on line...... White shirt, back neck tie.
    Me: Do you have a white shirt?
    Paul: I don't think so.
    Me: You SHOULD! It's part of your uniform! They are issued in your sea bag! Ugh!
    (I go look through the closet for a white uniform dress shirt.)
    Me: Do any of the Nazi's have a black tie? Check in the Collection Closet! Go strip one one off one of them!

Paul went spelunking in his Collection Closet to find a uniform in his collection to purloin a tie from so we could put this Soviet Officer's uniform together properly and to shut me up. lol

Edited by Hoyden R.

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here are a couple of ODD school badges, which I have only seen for 1970s-80s naval officers--maybe because my army officer photos are mostly earlier.

This Captain 3rd Rank (no name or date, just 1970-75 from medals) would have been eligible for a white academy course, and should have a blue academy graduation badge. Instead...

he has the badge of a civilian university graduate!

Captain 1st Rank Bondar, 1986 again should have had a blue and been eligible for a white at his exalted rank.

So what's he got? The graduates badge of a civilian teachers college!

??????????

Edited by Rick Research

I have some new pics of that tunic that I will have to post soon!! Thanks Ricky!!!!

Perhaps those last two graduated from the civilian academy then joined the Navy?

So what's he got? The graduates badge of a civilian teachers college!

Not necessary.

It also can be the badge of a) law colleage b) badge of Moscow financial-economic institute.

"Law" badges have blue enamel.

"Pedagogical" badges have green enamel.

Moscow financial-economic institute have dark blue enamel.

Edited by JapanX

... the badge(Kirov Medical School).

Paul, this is not Kirov Medical School.

This is "ВМА им. Кирова"

Military medical academy named after S.M. Kirov

It is located in Leningrad.

One of the oldest medical academies in Russia.

Established in 1798.

Became military academy in 1881.

Named after Kirov in 1934.

Edited by JapanX

Guest Rick Research

I did not know the "open book" badge came in any color other than green--that's the only kind to ever show up here. :beer:

It still seems odd that military officers would have civilian university badges but NOT the graduation badge from an officers' academy.

Many non-military colleges in USSR (like Institute of Roads and Bridges, Electro-technical Institute, etc...) had so called военные кафедры/military chairs (sections). At the same time many non-military colleges with military sections were open to experienced army officers under 34 years of age.

Guest Rick Research

But how did they get commissioned in the military services without graduating from an academy for Leitenants?

It was different before, during, after the GPW (how many times have we seen service records, last school age 12 or 14 then work--my God! :speechless1: ) but by "modern" times... didn't EVERY officer have to have (here only army earlier type)

But how did they get commissioned in the military services without graduating from an academy for Leitenants?

Maybe because on graduation day they got (together with diploma) military rank of junior lieutenant in reserve ;)

Just in case :whistle:

The badge on the left (secondary/middle military college) was in use since 1958.

The badge on the right (higher military college) was in use between 1961 and 1982 (should be made by Moscow mint by the way ;))

Edited by JapanX

Guest Rick Research

Uh huh, yes I know. I got the M1961 from a Senior Lieutenant of Motor Transport who tried to defect from East Germany when everything fell apart 1989/91. (His wife and child, yes. He--military prison for trying to emigrate legally. :blush: )

Odd military careers interest me. My cousin, U.S. Army reserves, abandoned teaching high school English to volunteer as our oldest 2nd Lieutenant :speechless1: for Vietnam. He ended up... as a full Colonel in the General Staff. :whistle:

But... were many Soviet Junior Lieutenants of the Reserve able to become Captain 1st Rank in the navy... active reserve? My interest is further back, 1930s-50s and "reserve" then in Soviet records = really retired... available for callup, maybe.