News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help identifying a pair of USAF shoulder boards

I recently got my hands on a pair of USAF shoulder boards, but the design is really intriguing and I need a bit of help identifying the history behind this pair.

Its a standard USN gold shoulder board, however with the USAF insignia on it. The manufacturer is Hilborn-Hamburger Inc. of Passaic, a major New Jersey military insignia supplier.

Would greatly appreciate if someone could provide some information on it!

Damn! I think that you have something really special or maybe a prototype? I have never seen anything like it. In fact, the Air Force colors are Silver and Blue. Most of their bullion work is in a silver color. This is really interesting. I look forward to seeing what folks have to say about this set.

Yea the person whom I bought it from could only tell me that it was made around 1947-49. I'm guessing it was more likely a prototype that was made during the transition to an independent entity from the US Army.

The only thing that I find weird is that the insignia was made on a USN shoulder board. I would have thought that it would make better sense if the prototype was made to resemble the US Army rank insignia.

The Air Force has waivered back and forth over the use of shoulder boards for their senior enlisted and officers. Also, the Air Force wanted to develop a completely different uniform from that of the Army. Perhaps this was just a rough prototype used for brain storming during the uniform development phase? Either way, still a really cool and unique set of insignia. Most likely, one of a kind.

It looks similar to this "badge " that was worn on Dress uniforms,

image004.jpg

Figure 1: usafflagrank.com

The gold USAF button authorized for use on the

Air Force Formal Evening Dress uniform. The gold button

was no longer used on Formal Evening Dress after 1959.