News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for all information about Ministerialdirektor Walter

Hello, I'm looking for all information about the following man. Why did he receive these high decorations? Who was he? Did he have more medals? When and how did he die etc?

dr. Alex Walter
    Ministerialrat and Ministerialdirektor im Reichsministerium für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft.
    Leutnant der Reserve des Königlich Preussischen Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiments Nr. 2
    SS-Sturmbannführer 314998
    Member of the NSDAP 5853411
    Born 17 January 1888

Germany
    5 November 1914
    Iron Cross II class

Austria-Hungaria
    8 July 1915
    Militar Verdienstkreuz III klasse mit der Kriegsdecoration III klasse

Spain
    Knight in the Order of Isabella the Catholic

Germany
    Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

Spain
    23 February 1934
    Commander in the Order of Isabella the Catholic

Netherlands
    25 July 1934
    Commander in the Order of Oranje-Nassau

Denmark
    16 August 1934
    Commander II grade in the Order of the Dannebrog

Bulgaria
    2 May 1938
    Commander in the Order of Civil Merit

Italy
    21 February 1938
    Grand officer with star in the Order of Merit

Sweden
    22 October 1940
    Commander in the Royal Order of the Seraphim

Bulgaria
    Grand cross in the Order of Civil Merit

Walter, Alex

Ministerialbeamter *17.1.1888 Berlin †nach 1944 n.e.

1909 Referendar

1913 Promotion (Dr. jur.)

1915 Assessor

1919 Gerichtsoffizier im Freikorps Weihlmann

1919 Assessor im RWiMin.

seit 1920 RegR im REMin.

1921 ORegR in Abt. II (Kommunalangelegenheiten, Agrarpolitik)

1924 in der Abt. II (Zoll- und Handelspolitik)

1925 MinR

1935 MinDir. der Abt. V (Zoll- und Handelspolitik)

1937 Mitglied der NSDAP

1939 SS-Sturmbannführer

I imagine that because of his job as one of the leading directors in the Agriculture Ministery he travelled a lot to various countries, this could be why he had the awards.

As far as i can see he died after 1944 but exactly when and how is not known, or at least i couldn't find anything.

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Guest Rick Research

Where did you find the 1920s/30s dates on his civil service career?

SS-Stuba 01.03.39 and still that rank in the October 1944 SS Dienstaltersliste, at which time he had the SS Totenkopf ring but no WW2 awards.

He also had a Black Wound Badge for WW1.

Rick, the Bundesarchiv has short bios like this for a number of cabinet ministers and senior civil servants from the "Akten der Reichskanzlei. Weimarer Republik".

Here is Walter: http://www.bundesarchiv.de/aktenreichskanzlei/1919-1933/1000/adr/adrsz/kap1_5/para2_31.html

Here is the main page and introduction: http://www.bundesarchiv.de/aktenreichskanzlei/1919-1933/0000/adr/index.html

Kurzbiographien
    Die Kurzbiographien wurden im Zuge der Digitalisierung der Edition von Albert Thiel und Matthias Reinert nachträglich zusammengestellt. Die Einträge umfassen alle Personen, zu denen mindestens der Vorname und Lebensdaten recherchiert werden konnten.
    Jeder Eintrag enthält neben dem Namen und Lebensdaten, berufliche Stationen sowie die Bereiche externe Links und aus der Edition kumulierte Registereinträge.
    Externe Links können auf das Register der Allgemeinen/Neuen Deutschen BiographieSymobl externer Link und die NachlassdatenbankSymobl externer Link verweisen. Mitglieder des Reichstags bzw. der Nationalversammlung können mit ihrem Eintrag in den digitalisierten Reichstagshandbüchern (BSB München)Symobl externer Link aufgerufen werden.
    Alle Biographien sind mit dem Datensatz der Personennamendatei (PND) bei der Deutschen Bibliothek Frankfurt/MainSymobl externer Link verknüpft. Von dort aus kann die verknüpfte Literatur aufgerufen werden.
    Die digitalisierten Pressedokumentationen des Hamburger Weltwirtschafts-Archivs (HWWA)/der Deutschen Zentralbibliothek für Wirtschaftswissenschaften (ZBW) werden bei dort vorhandenem Material zu einer Person verknüpft. Die Verknüpfung erfolgt über die ID-Nummer aus dem Datensatz der Personennamendatei (PND).

Where did you find the 1920s/30s dates on his civil service career?

SS-Stuba 01.03.39 and still that rank in the October 1944 SS Dienstaltersliste, at which time he had the SS Totenkopf ring but no WW2 awards.

He also had a Black Wound Badge for WW1.

There you go Rick, Dave has posted the relevant links, thanks Dave.

Regards Eddie

Guest Rick Research

Given the claims for "privacy" we still hear from many Official Sources, it is AMAZING what is actually online... if you know where to look.

Luckily for us older Research Gnomes, Dave does. The rest of us are still hunched over our books reading through hideous Martin Luther typeface for answers!

Wups. Forgot to remark upon the extremely odd discrepancy between Walter's civil service paygrade and his obviously notional SS rank.

A Ministerialdirektor was the equivalent of a Brigadeführer, at least by salary... so he was senior at that level and... FOUR RANKS DOWN in the SS.

There was usually some form of parity. Dual uniformed Police officers, particularly if late in joining the SS, might be a rank under... for a while. That sort of thing. But Walter wouldn't have derived much satisfaction about being seated way further back in the bus among his black jacketed chums when he'd have had front row seats in his "Männer hinter Blätter" dark blue civil service uniform.

Edited by Rick Research

Thank you all for the information. I will study it today and I might have some more questions later. What I wonder now is:

Why did he serve in a Austrian Regiment? Because he was so high ranked, would there be a photo of him available somewhere? How would I go about to try to find a photo?

Guest Rick Research

That's just the honorific name of his Prussian Guards unit. GGR2 was garrisoned in Berlin.

He wasn't a high ranking officer at all-- his status was in the Beamtenstand.