News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why I'm skint

A good reason for not having pockets as full as I'd like them to be (who has?).

I'll be trying to do a little research on the casualties and will post what I can in due course, have already had some help on J W Hilleard and G Stevens.

From top to bottom and left to right we have:

A book, Locations of British Cavalry, Infantry and MG Units 1914-1924 (will do look ups for anyone interested)

2 wound stripes

Victory medal to 1133 Dvr. A R Neal of the RA

14-15 Star to 3-8472 Pte. E Neal, 23 Batl. Northumberland Fus., Tyneside Scottish. DoW 27.8.17

14-15 Star to S-9617 Pte. F J Neal, Rifle Brigade

Letter from Record's Office to Mrs Neal regarding the Victory medal to her son, 46051 J W Neal

Death plaque to 46051 Pte. James William Neal, 8 Batl. Northumberland Fus. Killed 14.3.17

Pair and ID disc to G/7620 William John Hilleard, 11 Batl. Queen's Regt. Royal West Surrey. Killed 27.7.17

Trio to 2656 Pte. George Stevens, 22 Batl. Queen's Regt. Killed 16.9.16

Pair to 348606 A F Neal, RA

All well worth the money I paid even though I paid premium prices for some of them.

Tony

Hello Graeme,

I?m having a bit of difficulty tracking them down, two were in the Northumberland Fusiliers, and one of them (Ernest Neal) has turned up on the 1901 census as being 15 days old in 1901 making him more than just a touch under age, no older than 16 when he died of wounds on the Somme. Ernest is called Edward on the medal roll, Ernest on the SDGW cd and plain old E Neal on the CWGC.

I also have a trio to a William EJ Neal from Hackney, possibly a relation who happened to have a twin brother but I haven?t found anything else as yet.

David,

I?ll keep you posted but I can feel an urge for booking a cheap flight and visiting the PRO. I actually paid for some of the details on George Stevens and will collect the documents when back home in March. Hopefully I?ll have the chance to stop off at the old drill hall in Bermondsey and take a pic of the Roll of Honour. George isn?t on the local war memorial or mentioned in the National Roll of the Great War.

I've been to where Pte. Hilleard was killed and took some photos already.

Tony

Thank you Mr Germ.

Gilbert,

There still are a few more Neal's out there as well as my gg uncle Bob Yelf's pair, my g Grandad Arthur Thurston's pair and those of my gg uncle Fred Buckett but will be more than happy with Tom Forrester's QSA, last seen by my Mum's (in her hands) in the 1940s but stolen from my Grandad in the 70s.

Tony

Hi Tony,

That's sad to hear about the medals being nicked - how did it happen? My Great Grandfather was in the 19th (St Pancras) London Regiment, was gassed but survived, gave his medals to my Granny, and they were them nicked out of a tea-chest when they moved in the 1960's. I still hope that they will surface on Ebay one day...

Gilbert

Hi Tony,

That's sad to hear about the medals being nicked - how did it happen? My Great Grandfather was in the 19th (St Pancras) London Regiment, was gassed but survived, gave his medals to my Granny, and they were them nicked out of a tea-chest when they moved in the 1960's. I still hope that they will surface on Ebay one day...

Gilbert

No one really knows Gilbert. My Grandad was burgled several times in the 70s but at least Tom's BWM wasn't taken, that's the only named family medal I have.

My Mum's family has been in Bermondsey since the 1790s so they tended to join the Queen's. Arthur Thurston (my Dad's Grandad) was from the Elephant and was a pre war part timer in the 12th London's (Camberwell) being invalided out in 1915, then the RGA and Labour Corps.

Tony