News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German and Austrian Officers with Imperial Russia Awards

Heiko,

Premier-Lieutenant/Hauptmann Ulrich v. Witzendorff. Flügel-Adjutant to the Grand-Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin around 1875. Formerly a Premier-Lieutenant in FAR 24 and ultimately the commandant of Breslau and char. Generalleutnant.

Regards

Glenn

On 5/7/2016 at 04:58, JapanX said:

To tell you the truth - I don`t remember where I got this scan. 

Guess this photo was sold at some auction.

Do you have his medal bar? 

Regards,

Nick

No they went missing in 1986 when my uncle died in the family house in Berlin, along with the spike helmet. My grandfather was born on Sept 17, 1862, in Darmstadt, Hesse. He served in the King of Hesse's Leibgarde-regiments No. 1  most of the photos were taken in Darmstadt. When he got older and went into the reserve, he started working for the German Post office. He was post master at Eydtkunen(today Chernyshevskoye), East Prussia, where he met his wife. The town was a customs stop on the Berlin-Konigsberg-Moscow Rail road line. The nearest "city" was Konigsberg, and that is why the name is on the bottom of the photo you posted. Just before the first World War, he became postmaster of Zehlendorf-Berlin a position he held until death. He got called up during the first World War One and was head of a artillery training base at Darmstadt.  If you ever find out where the photo came from, or anybody else knows, I would be greatful.  cheers, Karl

5 grandfather.jpg

8grandfather.jpg

one more from me....a bit tricky...maybe someone can help to ID this man 100%.... this should be Premier Lieutenant Graf von Klinckowstroem ca. 1875 during the time at Militär Reit Institut Hannover....now I don`t have all the ranklists of that time period and the only Graf Klinckowstroem with matching orders I can find is listet 1874 in the Regiment Garde du Corps....but here it seems to be not the uniform of GdC....any more info on him , did he change the unit in that time period ?

img961.jpg

Heiko,

why do you not think this is a Garde du Corps uniform? It is that or the Garde-Kürassier-Regiment. Another possibility is Sekonde-Lieutenant v. Kramsta of the Garde-Kürassier-Regiment.

Regards

Glenn

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Thank you very much Glenn for your help in identifying officer on my painting. This is third one, that you help me with. I am really appreciate it. As fur as his St. George cross, I assume it is 5th class St.George cross. 

Glenn,

he was awarded the RG5 in 1835/36 as a Major in the General Staff of VIII. Armeekorps. He received the swords to his already held peacetime award of the Red Eagle Order third Class with Bow on 20 September 1849 as the regimental commander of the 26. Infanterie-Regiment for the campaign in Baden. Consequently we see in your portrait his RAO3SX with a wartime ribbon but the bow of the peacetime award.

Regards

Glenn

2 hours ago, mconrad said:

From the Russian SPISKI KAVALEROV:

24-9-1818, Lt. KUSSEROV, in Prussian service - St. Anne 3rd class

13-9-1832, Major KUSSEROV, Prussian 3rd Infantry Regt. - St. Stanislav 3rd class

Hi,

a different Kusserow; August Ferdinand Cusserow. He retired around 1846 and died on 2 March 1872. The extract from the 1835 Prussian Rangliste shows his Russian Anna and Stanislaus orders.

An extract from the 1850 Prussian Rangliste shows our Ferdinand von Kusserow's orders as the commander of 14. Infanterie-Brigade.

Regards

Glenn

Cusserow.jpg

Kusserow1850.jpg

Certainly,

BZL2 Baden order of the Zähringer Lion Commander‘s cross 2nd class

FEL4 French Legion of Honour Officer‘s Cross

HG3 Hannoverian Guelphen Order Knight‘s Cross

HEK2 Hohenzollern Honour Cross 2nd class

RG5 Russian Saint George Order 5th class

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

that really is a wonderful rendition of Oberst Kusserow's medal bar. Much clearer now is the tiny little medal tucked between the Hannoverian Guelphic Order and the Russian Saint George; his campaign medal for the 1831 campaign to put down the uprising in Neufchâtel.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J