JapanX

German and Austrian Officers with Imperial Russia Awards

On 13/02/2019 at 01:02, GlennC said:

Ferdinand v. Kusserow  decorations up close.

What wonderful detail, Glenn. Is the portrait life size? At whatever scale, the artist obviously studied the medals extremely closely and understood what he was painting.

[ETA having now posted, I see that GlennJ has said the same thing - but better!]

Edited by Trooper_D

5 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Glenn,

that really is a wonderful rendition of Oberst Kusserow's medal bar. Much clearer now is the tiny little medal tucked between the Hannoverian Guelphic Order and the Russian Saint George; his campaign medal for the 1831 campaign to put down the uprising in Neufchâtel.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you Glenn for your help.

The only medal that is still mystery to me, is the one between Officers 25-Year Long Service Cross and French Legion of Honour Officer‘s Cross.

Best regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

What wonderful detail, Glenn. Is the portrait life size? At whatever scale, the artist obviously studied the medals extremely closely and understood what he was painting.

[ETA having now posted, I see that GlennJ has said the same thing - but better!]

Hi,
Yes it's a life size portrait. I have many, but this one is one of the best ones.

Best regards,

Glenn

Edited by GlennC

One more from my collection.
Portrait of Paul Frederick, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (grandson of Russian tzar Paul I),  with  St. Andrew star.

bdc0e87d-0d7b-44ab-97b7-b789ba183e6b (2).jpg

5 hours ago, GlennC said:

The only medal that is still mystery to me, is the one between Officers 25-Year Long Service Cross and French Legion of Honour Officer‘s Cross.

Glenn,

the Prussian 1813-1815 war medal.

Regards

Glenn

Oops, sorry, it is the Baden Campaign medal of 1849. The 1813/15 is to the other side of his 25 year cross.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Glenn