News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

With Napoleon/Against Napoleon: Bavarian Minis BAR

Guest Rick Research

This one is so early (circa 1850s) that all I can tell you is:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-160-0-13493300-1374020899.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-160-0-71904300-1374020914.jpg

This Bar of minis--mounted below a diamond encrusted staff of office (note tiny Bavarian lion on top at left, row of brilliants just over a weird Orthodox cross thingee) belonged to the Bavarian General der Kavallerie a.D. and General-Kapitän of the Leibgarde der Hartschiere (them of the lion helmets and pikes) Leonhard Freiherr von Hohenhausen-Hochaus (1788-1872). He commanded the "Bavarian Beefeaters" from 1860 to his death.

We cannot explain the odd Orthodox cross seemingly in front of the Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown,

Bavarian Order of St. Michael, and

Bavarian Ludwig Order (for 50 years service).

Then we have the Bavarian campaign crosses for 1790-1812 and 1813+,

Greek Order of the Redeemer (from 1830s with an elected Bavarian king?),

Austro-Hungarian Leopold Order

Austro-Hungarian Order of the Iron Crown

Prussian Red Eagle Order

Hanover Guelph Order

Russian St. Stanislaus Order

Hessian Order of Philipp the Generous

And last but not least, a Napoleon I Legion d'Honneur.

Since Baron H-H was wearing the decoration of Bavaria’s former French ally turned enemy and NOT the St. Helena Medal of 1857... presumably this bar dates from before that.

You regard a vanished world that once was and now has passed into legend.

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Bigger is always better.

The staff of office makes this quite massive. Consider that this is "undress" by the British definition of informal attire!!!!!!

Edited by Rick Research

Diese Bar ist ca. von 1870

Philippsorden Komtur 1 Klasse und 2 klasse verliehen am 13. April 1869

Hohenhausen und Hochhaus, Leonhard Freiherr von Exellens, Königlich Bayerischer Kämmerer, Gen. der Kav. Generalkapitän der Leibgarde der Hartschiere und Inhaber des 7. Infanterieregiments.

Hof und Staatshandbuch Hessen 1870

Gruß Paris

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: But what about the big Orthodox Cross-thingee? :anmatcat:

See folks--this is what turns normal human beings into...

Research Gnomes!!! :whistle::cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Good Lord! Remove the mustache and... Evil Ricky's not MY twin--he's reincarnated!!!!! :o

First neck thing = St. Stanislaus, second neck thing = the St. Michael, then campaign cross, Greek Redeemer (notice on the minis bar the face of the ex-King is turned down, with the reverse up), a :speechless1: de-crowned Ld'H and ? St. Michael star.

Great on the face and typically cartoony on the medals! :cool:

Edited by Rick Research

I believe the Orthodox thingee is a place holder for the Greek Orthodox Order. I looked him up after we got home as I was fascinated by his office as Head of the Bavarian Hartschiere, who have splendid uniforms and under Ludwig and Lola Montez, their equip page became legendary. Who knows, given what was going on in Bavaria in his lifetime he must have had some great stories to tell...."Lola Montez running giggling down the great staircase pursued by the Mad King clad only in riding boots". ....etc..