News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That’s what I call “fervent zeal”

JapanX

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating. What a range of badges and awards! If a collector was lucky enough to own this man's "chest," no one might believe him if he displayed it all on a single uniform in his collection. The advantage of owning a period photo as proof!

A serious question, though. Considering what this fellow is wearing in the picture, I seriously doubt that he could have forgotten to pin on his third class Saint Stanislaus... I've always thought of the Russian orders as being traditional "step" orders, i.e. you only received a higher degree after being awarded the lowest. Did some individuals proceed directly to the Second Class of the St. Stanislaus? I've often wondered if an officer could immediately jump to a second class order with swords in wartime.

Regards.

Edited by Mathomhaus

I've always thought of the Russian orders as being traditional "step" orders, i.e. you only received a higher degree after being awarded the lowest.

Not really.

It always was about rank (and sometimes achivements) ;)

Only St.George order was very strict one.

Although (very rare) there were cases of awarding high class of St.George to cavaliers without lower class.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I just assumed that, like in Fedotov's famous picture of a minor civil servant parading around his house wearing a Saint Stanislaus 3rd Class on his bathrobe, that everyone of a certain rank started out his medal/order career with the lowest St. Stanislaus. I have read that the order, at least in the 3rd Class, was frequently looked down upon. Maybe the fellow in the portrait actually had been awarded it but was making a statement by choosing not to wear it?

Regards

Edited by Mathomhaus

• 4 years later...
    On 20/11/2018 at 19:55, JapanX said:

Of course it was possible :beer: 

P.S. This medal was recently sold in Japan. Ribbon folded in sacred treasure style  + typical japanese hook ;) 

IMG_20181103_123054.jpg

IMG_20181103_123035.jpg

1817241040_psb(1).jpg.c018c7ff324c60d5366538942aecaf78.jpgI found it! This is a Chinese businessman. He has a lot of wealth in Manchuria, but his ending is very bad. He won the medal, but it looks like the Olympic medal. PS: I use Google Translated Russian to express the meaning is not accurate, you can simply introduce the way to get this medal in English? Thank you

psb.jpg.8931424ca6fc9d86bd389918b0363301.jpg

His Chinese name is "Jian Liantai"

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...