News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

seebataillon EM shoulder Boards

I've never heard of this. Can you show it? The only enlisted pattern that might have cardboard would be a private purchase piece, but the cardboard would have been used inside as a stiffener. Perhaps yours is missing the backing cloth?

Chip

well, this is only the second SB tunic I've owned and my first one had the exact same type of board stiffner so I guess it's probably ok but after looking at other Imperial regiment boards I don't see the same type of composition.

Could I see the whole board? Where did you get them?

I'm not sure what your question is. I do believe it is "period". The use of cardboard inside the shoulderboards is more prevalent than your personal sampling size would suggest. The overall construction of EM issue gear is going to be of a lesser quality than the officers.

I was wondering if the person you purchased the tunic (and should boards) from is trustworthy? Buying it from a stranger on ebay doesn't make it fake, but trustworthy dealers are a good sign.

Lets see photos of the whole tunic! :jumping:

The construction of the boards is typical of private purchase pieces. I am a bit surprised that there is no backing material. Normally, the backing is in the same color as the tunic. As a shoulder strap collector, I can tell you that this is not unusual and I have seen lots of prewar private purchase boards that are poorly finished on the back side. They are not removable, so the thought is that no one would ever see the reverse. I have a few like this in my collection, though I prefer issue pieces.

Your navy items are excellent! I collect wartime navy items, myself as well as navy insignia and sleeve ratings.

Chip