News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

does anyone know what is the significance of a green coloured fabric in the crown of a tipstaff? ...i have always noted red or crimson coloured fabric and only twice seen green colour.... see attached photos for a green colored fabric which is curious....

This may not answer your specific question, but it does give a little insight

Did You Know the tipstaff symbolizes authority?

tipstaff-baton.jpg

The use of the tipstaff or “tipped staff” as it was originally called, dates back to 16th century England where it was carried as a ‘practical reinforcement’ to the authority of a variety of law enforcement officials of the day. Later it came to serve much the same function as a badge of the King’s authority for law enforcement.

The function of the tipstaff was gradually reduced to that of a receptacle for transporting arrest warrants and other legal processes. For this purpose, they were constructed as hollow tubes, with a tip that could be unscrewed to reveal the contents. More recently, the tipstaff became entrenched as a traditional British and Canadian law enforcement authority.

The Commissioner’s Tipstaff was first presented to Commissioner W.L. Higgitt, on Sept. 3, 1970, by the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. That presentation expressed not only the gratitude of the Association for the RCMP, but also demonstrated the unity among police forces in Canada.

The Commissioner’s Tipstaff today symbolizes the solemn responsibility and authority for law enforcement borne by the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

During the Change of Command ceremony, the outgoing Commissioner passes the tipstaff to the new Commissioner.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/hist/hnud-nhut/did-faire-know-savez-eng.htm

Ed

Edited by speagle

I hope Mervyn will jump in here, however until he does, he has told me that the colour is usually red and sometimes dark purple. Unless this actually symbolizes something out of the ordinary (Irish Constabulary perhaps?) I would say someone repaced the missing material with whatever was at hand. I replaced the missing velvet on a tipstaff of the same style as yours with red after consulting Mervyn, so I know people will do this to complete an artifact.

Regards

Brian

I hope Mervyn will jump in here, however until he does, he has told me that the colour is usually red and sometimes dark purple. Unless this actually symbolizes something out of the ordinary (Irish Constabulary perhaps?) I would say someone repaced the missing material with whatever was at hand. I replaced the missing velvet on a tipstaff of the same style as yours with red after consulting Mervyn, so I know people will do this to complete an artifact.

Regards

Brian

Cheers mate. Yes, I know that 99.9 percent of specimens will have red velvet, but now after having actually seen two or three with green, I am wondering perhaps the green has any special meaning as you said perhaps Irish, or perhaps something else. I am sure someone will know.

TJ - your tipstaff is a nice example of a Georgian tipstaff - prob. from the style around 1800. As Brian says it was usual with the hollow Crown

to have cloth as an in-fill - however, this actually has a purpose. The cloth represents the 'Cap of Maintenance' which a Sovereign used to wear

on Court occasions that did not call for the Crown. The purpose was to show his responsibility for the safety of His people.

I have never seen a green inset - the correct colour is a purple/red - and in addition they used purpel/deep blue. Worcester Police wore green

uniforms for a period - I think in the 1870's , but this wouldn't affect a tipstaff. I don't think Ireland has anything to do with the green - prior to

1922 they were British and the rules regarding the Crown would be the same. I suspect that the colour of the cloth has deteriorated in the dye to

show this off green colour - the alternative is from a collection where he used to green to show his pieces.

Ed has made some good points on tipstaves and I have noticed both Canadian and US Forces have started to make and present them to senior

officials. They go back much further then the th 15th. Century - probably well over 1000 years, although their shape would be different - bigger,

more like a quarter staff.

They do, directly represent Royal Authority and were carried by a variety of people - from Constables to High Constables, Sherrifs, Magistrates,

Judges etc. - plus Mayors and city officials - in fact anyone who needed to show their authority. Warrant cards or, ID"s only came-in during the 1880's.

Defying the authority of a person entitled to carry a tipstaff could earn 7 years transportation. They were sometimes used to carry a Warrant inside

the staff - but, in fact this was fairly rare.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the greenish colour ? Mervyn

Cheers Mervyn. Its certainly possible for the colour of the fabric to have gone off in 200 years. However I have seen in the past few years the green colour and do believe it is of some significance. Maybe one day we will find out. An interesting one was just knocked down on Ebay it was a standard Parker Field except marked for Sir Peter Tait & Co, Southwark St. London, a haberdashery of sorts, which is unusual.