News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 60
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Straits Times, 20 February 1933

attachicon.gifwe.jpg

His appointment to "Kommodore der Hamburg-Amerika Linie" is January 15, 1933

And here is a longer story of his appointment, with some personal details:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process%20small/Newspapers/Rochester%20NY%20Democrat%20Chronicle/Rochester%20NY%20Democrat%20Chronicle%201933/Rochester%20NY%20Democrat%20Chronicle%201933%20-%200223.pdf

(check the text on the right of the page)

And from The Nautical Magazine 1914 (Bande 92):

Captain Paul Wiehr, s.s. Blucher - Commander, Order of the Lion and Sun (Persia); Knight Cross, First Class, Order of Albrecht (Saxony); Knight, First Class, Order of Friedrich (Wurtemberg); Reserve Decoration, Second Class, Silver Medal for ... unreadable.

And next, from The Express Messenger, 1927 (there is more text but I don't have that book):

"The delightful quiet friendliness of the members of the staff of 'Albert Ballini' is the spirit of Captain Paul Wiehr himself. Sunny days follow sunny days and the captain is free to express his natural liking for people."

Regards,

Marcin

Edited by Marcin L

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: "seven years ago" and "1895" are quite a spread! :o Thus dreadful dead people back in history just could not keep their facts straight :shame: and now it is up to us Research Gnomes!!!! :catjava:

:cheers: Thanks my friends!!!

Thank you, Andreas, for bringing LIGHT and JOY to our resident gnome genius. He's a very difficult person to joyfully surprise, even when a lady [?] named Tamara gets involved. It is extremely difficult to find ways to acknowledge and honor his generous and selfless contributions here and elsewhere. I know that all of us greatly appreciate your brilliant effort in locating and sharing this information with Rick and the rest of us.

Guest Rick Research

I've got to wonder where all those documents are NOW? Split up individually and RE-scattered to the winds by "autograph" collectors who don't care about the person who GOT the paperwork, only who scribbled their signature across en route to lunch ( :speechless::violent: ) or...?

1) Final medal bar and ribbon bar: safe with me

2) Persian Order and Urkunde: safe with the museum in Hamburg

3) Three pinback awards: lost forever, loose (including the unexpoected Red Cross!)

4) Documents now ... ?

This reminds me of the case of OKH Oberst (E) Hans Nuyken. I got his WW2 ribbon bar in November 1984 from a New Jersey dealer who subsequently went over to the dark Side and has been cast into the bottomless pit of self-destroyed greed. Nuyken's ca. 1940 medal bar had sold previously at a much-missed Florida dealer's--and has never surfaced since. And yet a M1957 medal bar (!) and all Nuyken's Urkunden and pinback awards etc were sold (I am told, having never seen any scans) by Hermann Historica in October 2012. That's at least 30 years apart in time, two continents--and TWO complete medal bars. My Nuyken ribbon ar was posted here long ago, illustrated by the Detmold Honor Cross Roll and with other research.

I think examples of Generaladmiral Conrad Albrecht's ribbon bars are on every permanently inhabited continent--at least 3 if not 4 of us here at GMIC have exxamples spanning his career. Yet I have never seen his medal bar turn up--whoever has that "wasn't interested" in ribbon bars and dumped them?

And yet... and yet... the bits nd pieces survive---

and eventually end up HERE!

I've got to wonder where all those documents are NOW? Split up individually and RE-scattered to the winds by "autograph" collectors who don't care about the person who GOT the paperwork, only who scribbled their signature across en route to lunch ( :speechless::violent: ) or...?

1) Final medal bar and ribbon bar: safe with me

2) Persian Order and Urkunde: safe with the museum in Hamburg

3) Three pinback awards: lost forever, loose (including the unexpoected Red Cross!)

4) Documents now ... ?

This reminds me of the case of OKH Oberst (E) Hans Nuyken. I got his WW2 ribbon bar in November 1984 from a New Jersey dealer who subsequently went over to the dark Side and has been cast into the bottomless pit of self-destroyed greed. Nuyken's ca. 1940 medal bar had sold previously at a much-missed Florida dealer's--and has never surfaced since. And yet a M1957 medal bar (!) and all Nuyken's Urkunden and pinback awards etc were sold (I am told, having never seen any scans) by Hermann Historica in October 2012. That's at least 30 years apart in time, two continents--and TWO complete medal bars. My Nuyken ribbon ar was posted here long ago, illustrated by the Detmold Honor Cross Roll and with other research.

I think examples of Generaladmiral Conrad Albrecht's ribbon bars are on every permanently inhabited continent--at least 3 if not 4 of us here at GMIC have exxamples spanning his career. Yet I have never seen his medal bar turn up--whoever has that "wasn't interested" in ribbon bars and dumped them?

And yet... and yet... the bits nd pieces survive---

and eventually end up HERE!

Rick, don´t worry be happy.

The Documents weren`t splitted up, they have a good home in good old Germany and

the current owner is a mad dog :whistle: . He allready tried to come into contact with You, because

he would try to buy Your medal bar. :banger: But he didn`t manage it at this time.

Cheers Andreas

Guest Rick Research

After I am dead, sure. :cheeky:

I have TWO medal bars from George and this one, for the reasons I have mentioned, is the most special to me personally. Sentiment has always "out-valued" money to me.

At least everybody has scans! :jumping:

• 1 year later...