News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI German Saxon Military Order St. Henry Medal Mounted Valor Group, Pilot?

Gents,

Let me preface this post by stating this is not my area of expertise. Forum veterans know that my interest rests with Soviet Full Cavaliers/Knights of the Order of Glory.

I came across this bar on the well-known auction site and thought I would post it here for your review/discussion. It was listed as described in this thread's title and recently sold for $1,760.85.

Bar's description follows: "Here is a superb 8 piece Imperial German Saxon Military Order of St. Henry, and Military Order of St. Henry Medal Court Mounted Valor Group. The group consists of the following: Prussian 1914 Iron Cross 2nd class (magnetic center), Saxon Military Order of St. Henry Knight (silver/gilt and enamel), Saxon Military Order of St. Henry Medal (silver), Saxon Order of Albert the Brave Knight second class with swords (silver/gilt and enamel), Duchy of Anhalt 1914 Friedrich War Cross (bronze), 1914-1918 Hindenburg Cross with swords (magnetic), German 18 Year Long Service Cross (magnetic), German 4 Year Long Service Medal (magnetic). Medals are nicely toned and in excellent overall condition, St. Henry Knight with only slight enamel loss from contact. Ribbons and backing felt are also in excellent overall condition with slight fading and some wear to the ribbon of the Iron Cross. This combination of the award of the Order of St. Henry and the St. Henry Medal is quite scarce. This group could have been awarded to a German Aviator."

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

Hi,

Very nice medal bar but don't hesitate to show it all.

I have found only 11 names of saxon officers who received the St Henry knight cross and silver medal with knight cross 2nd class with X of Albert Order. I have only one name with Anhalt cross :

The later Generalmajor was not a flyer !!!, who was second lieutenant in WW1 and serving with IR 181.

He received both claps for iron crosses during WW2, and three others WW2 medals.

Here is a photo of him, on the left, with his brother Fritz who died during WW1

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Do you know where is it from please ?

Christophe,

It sold on eBay on July 20th, 2013. The seller is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. You can still see it on eBay when you search under the "Completed Listings" category using the words "Saxon Medal."

Regards,

slava1stclass

Guest Rick Research

And this bar was sold without showing the Wehrmacht long service awards? :speechless1:

Christophe-- I would not ever identify bars for unknown third parties, only to a member here. We don't know who sold it, who bought it, or where it is now. Or if any party involved cares beyond how much money they think they can get--or be handed for free at our expense.

We do know the seller didn't have a clue, and the seeming "quite scarce... aviator" "expertise" wasn't worth spit! :cheeky:

The EK ribbon rot is unfortunate, fatal, and irreversible. I've only seen that on the cheapest of late WW1 ribbons. Something with the sizing/starch (whatever) that causes the white to fall off in flakes. Sometimes seen on 1870 EK ribbons too. I'm surprised to see it on a late 1930s bar--the outfitter was clearly cheating with old second rate material!

Christophe-- I would not ever identify bars for unknown third parties, only to a member here. We don't know who sold it, who bought it, or where it is now. Or if any party involved cares beyond how much money they think they can get--or be handed for free at our expense.

Rick,

I understand and support your point fully. My intent was/is simply to present this (and other) interesting bars for review. I have absolutely no stake in this.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Guest Rick Research

Understood and appreciated! The next one was a real :speechless1: but this one wasn't. Amazing what is Out There but not... here. We aren't exactly invisible online as a website....