News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Blume, Johann Carl : 1870-71 Veteran, Chief Prison Inspector, and WWI PrKHDK and RAO recipient.

I am encouraged (even enheartened) by Rick R.’s recent success to find a photo of Paul Wiehr. And who wouldn’t be? While I haven’t been looking for as long (only 19 years) this is my “white whale” search to find an image. His name....

Johann Carl Blume

And this is his medal bar. Yes, that’s a “50” on the RAO4K. He was an Unterofficer during the Franco-Prussian War and earned an 1870 EK2. In WWI he received the Prussian War Aid Cross (from 1918) and the Order of the Red Eagle 4th Class awarded in October 1917.

How do I know this medal bar belongs to Karl Blume? It came with his award docs –all of them.

And more.

What makes me hopeful of finding a photo of Mr. Blume is that after the F-P War he rose from Prison Guard to Chief Prison Inspector, somewhere in Muenster.

I am REALLY hoping there is a photo of Johann Carl Blume, if not from when he was a veteran with the 2nd Hanoverian, 77th Infantry Regiment, then from when he was a

Prison Guard (1885),

Prison Inspector (1887-1905) or

Chief Prison Inspector (1905 – 1920) in Muenster.

I have pursued this one “around the Horn and around the Norway maelstrom” and have not come any closer...help...

Here are docs regarding his Prison Guard career.

Edited by Claudius

Very nice medalbar! Interesting that he, even as an old guy, not only added his 1913 NCO Long Service Cross but also his War Aid Cross to his medalbar. Do you have any more Details about his life, e.g. birth, death, military service?

Edited by turtle

Very nice medalbar! Interesting that he, even as an old guy, not only added his 1913 NCO Long Service Cross but also his War Aid Cross to his medalbar. Do you have any more Details about his life, e.g. birth, death, military service?

Hello Turtle;

Thank you. Yes, I do know more about him.

1849, February 7 born, Grossmonra(?) Germany

1867, October 17 NCO school at Julich -18 yrs, 8mnths old

1869, October 1 Gefreiter rank -20yrs, 8mnths

1870, July 17 Graduation rank, Unterofficier -21yr, 5mnths

1870, July 20 Officially last day at NCO School at Julich

1870, July 21 Assigned to 2nd Hannover, 77th Regiment, 9th Company

1870, August 6 Participated in the battle at Spicheren, France

1870, August 18 Participated in the battle at Gravelotte-St. Private, France

1870, December 25 Christmas bivouac at Bellevue, France

1871, August 1 1870-71 War Medal Certificate

1873, January 19 awarded 1870 EK2 Certificate

1873, September Promotion to “Sergeant” -24yrs, 7mnths

1875, October 10 Letter of Good Conduct

1875, November 1 Promotion to Vizefeldwebel -26yrs, 9mnths

1876, October 1 Promotion to Feldwebel; assigned to 10th Company -27yrs, 8mnths

1881, January 18 Awarded 15 years NCO Long Service Cross Certificate

1885, January 28 Letter of Good Conduct

1885, February 27 Letter to report for Prison Guard training

1885, June 9 Letter of Good Conduct in Prison Guard training

1885, August 8 Letter from Royal Prosecutor’s office –no positions available

1885, November 3 Approval of Prison Guard appointment -36yrs, 9mnths

1886, April 8 Certificate of Prison Guard appointment

1887, April 4 Cover letter promotion to Prison Inspector

1887, April 30 Copy of Promotion and Transfer as a Prison Inspector -38yrs, 2 mnths

1887, July 23 Certificate of Prison Inspector appointment

1895, July 4 Letter for the awarding Kaiser Wilhelm I “pin badge of honor”. (I don’t know what it is.)

1905, June 17 Certificate of Chief Prison Inspector appointment -56yrs, 4mnths

1909, January 18 Awarded Order of the Crown 4th Class Certificate

1910, October 1 Attended: Golden Anniversary of NCO School at Julich “50 years, graduates from 1860-1910” w/program, menu, list of past graduates, newspaper article added. -61yrs, 8mnths old

1917, October 17 Awarded Order of the Red Eagle 4th Class w/”50”yr clasp -68yrs, 8mnths

1917, November 3 Letter for Order of Red Eagle 4th Class w/”50”yr clasp

1918, June 3 Awarded Prussian War Help Cross Certificate

1919, December 27 Letter for Honorable Discharge, effective July 1, 1920 -71yrs, 5mnths old

18yrs, 1/2mnths Army Service

34yrs, 9 mnths Prison Service

52yrs, 9 ½ mnths total career service

1920, December 31 Letter referring to purchasing of returnable Prussian Awards

1924, January 8 (unknown document –pension related?)

1930, March 1 (unknown letter with envelope –pension related?)

1931, March 2 (unknown document –pension related?) –if alive, 82yrs, 1 mnth.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

I posed this question over a year ago, but I was I would like readdress it.

Does anyone know how to look up the staff from a Prison in Muenster?

As a Chief Prison Inspector, I would think he would have been photographed. I would really like a photo of this gentleman. Can anyone help me? Does have access to German prison research?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... Not from my photos. But there's a 1913 Jubilee Regimental medal that's just popped up here today.

Ah, yes. I know the jubilee medal you speak of. He certainly would have qualified to earn it and lived long enough that he could have owned one. Blume's group consisting of his medal bar and numerous documents is rather large. I have always thought it was a small mystery why this jubilee medal was not among the possessions of this group.

But the greater mystery of this group was why it doesn't have a photo of him. None, not a portrait, newspaper, class photo or unit. I have tried to pursue it but it has escaped detection.

Rick was a fan of this group, but he was taken from us before he had the real chance to look down the hidden avenues that were only available to him.