News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero's medal returns to pride of place after garage sale discovery Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/heros-medal-returns-to-pride-o

A chance garage sale purchase has brought together two of the four awards made posthumously to Victoria Cross recipient and Battle of Lone Pine hero Corporal Alexander Stewart Burton at the Australian War Memorial. John Baker, who stumbled across Cpl Burton's Victory Medal while browsing at a garage sale, joined the VC winner's descendants in Canberra to present the bronze and copper disc to AWM director Brendan Nelson. Cpl Burton's VC has been a part of the collection for many years. The whereabouts of his two other medals, a 1914-1915 Star and British War Medal are still unknown.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/heros-medal-returns-to-pride-of-place-after-garage-sale-discovery-20130823-2shm4.html#ixzz2ctJkcgLZ

Jean-Paul

• 3 months later...

Hi,

These type of "find" story's warm the heart, I was talking to a fellow collector who was at a gun and militaria show with his Father, he picked up a WW1 trio that was for sale, looked at the name on the rim and found it was his Grandfathers medals that were lost many decades prior.

He said the shock and excitement was so great, Dad had to sit down.

I also found a WW1 photo of my wife's Grandfather with 2 of his soldier mates on ebay, the odds of these things happening are incredible but there are story's out there...... anyone else?

Regards,

Kevin.

• 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi,

These type of "find" story's warm the heart, I was talking to a fellow collector who was at a gun and militaria show with his Father, he picked up a WW1 trio that was for sale, looked at the name on the rim and found it was his Grandfathers medals that were lost many decades prior.

He said the shock and excitement was so great, Dad had to sit down.

I also found a WW1 photo of my wife's Grandfather with 2 of his soldier mates on ebay, the odds of these things happening are incredible but there are story's out there...... anyone else?

Regards,

Kevin.

It happens at those shows.

I unrolled a First War unit photograph to find that it was my grandfather's C.A.S.C. unit, and although he was invalided shortly after enlistment, he was in it!

A postcard to a CEF officer showed a Toronto house that looked familiar. It should have, as I grew up in the house next to it, part of which was visible.

Michael