News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Osoaviakhim Badges

I started the Early Georgian Aviatrix thread then decided that I would start this thread to share a few more of my things. Depending on membership interest, of course. Well, no interest so far but it interests me, so here's my Osoaviakhim board with some close-ups. I think I've got a couple more things around here somewhere but this will have to do for a start. I would very much like to see what you've got.

Chuck

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-75209700-1378163276.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-66769000-1378163297.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-16995800-1378163338.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-26639900-1378163383.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-65937200-1378163404.jpg

A couple more Oso-badges. First is a badge for the young Voroshilov rifleman. This is rarer than the badges for adults. Guess kids played too hard with them...?

Second a suspention badge turned into screwback. Those chains often gave up.

Third and last for now a Udarnik badge.

/Kim

Hi Kim

Thanks for showing us your badges. I completely forgot about the Jr. Oso badge. I'll look around while I'm re-organizing. I'm pretty sure that I've got one or two around here someplace. Your modified suspension is a good example and in very nice shape. You're right, those chains took a beating and they weren't up to the task. I'm sure you saw my example with the bi-plane replaced by a star. The one I really like and have never seen before is your udarnik badge. I'd like to have one of those in my collection.

Chuck

I knew I had more Oso things around here somewhere. Here's a 1941 engraved presentation cigarette case.

Go through your boxes and show us more Osoaviakhim things. I brought back an Oso building award plaque in 2002 and put it in my garden. Looked good, good conversation starter. Sadly, after hanging on the outside of an old Tbilisi apartment building for, oh, sixty years or so, it disintegrated in my garden in three years. I hate it when that happens.

Chuck

Here you go Chuck. It seems like we are a select few who appreciate OSO-items. When I started looking for them I had my contacts searching all over. At one time I was told that one of my friends was at a collectors appartment and there was a huge hand embroided OSO-flag. He asked the guy if he could buy it but I guess the refreshment flowed and he later forgot. When he returned an other time and asked for the flag the reply was something like "What, did you really want it I thought you were kidding." So no flag for me.

Anyway here are some more badges and related stuff.

First the Ready for..-badge.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-205-0-90754100-1378365427.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-205-0-53060000-1378365450.jpg

A photo-op when in school. Dated 1936.

Some documents for the badge.

And another variation of the badge.

Poster with the badge. Not mine just stolen from the net...

Edited by kimj

Some paper.

First a deck of cards that doubled as a learning aid for the Voroshilov riflemen.

Some membership books. Far left a pre-war, in the middle a war time issue and to the right an Estonian one, post war.

A rare one from the OSO in the Ukraine republic.

Finaly two more "stolen" posters. No badges, just a couple of nice looking OSO posters.

/Kim

Hi Kim

I guess great minds DO think alike.

I LOVE your collection. My favorite is image #1, the young couple. It gives the badges a different and nice context. All the rest is cool, too. I've not seen the cards or posters or the Ukraine variant. The posters would look good in my office/museum/man cave/junk repository.

I'll be in Prague and Tbilisi this fall and I hope to find the time to visit some antique stores and/or flea markets. Prague is business and my schedule isn't always my own, but Tbilisi is pure pleasure and time with friends, including my collecting mentor Boria. I'll alert him to keep his eyes out for interesting collectibles, including Oso, which is something he does for me anyway.

I may still have 1-2 more things. I am currently re-organizing/mucking out the man cave and I'm finding things I had completely forgotten about.

Keep 'em coming. I love the Oso collectibles.

Chuck

Glad you liked it Chuck! I'm afraid this must be it for a while. I have some more but they don't live at home, so there's some logistic issues getting them. But as a teaser I can mention a cap star with the OSO-symbols. Perhaps worth waiting for. But don't hold your breath as it can take some time before I get to my other items.

Good luck finding new Soviet stuff. I'm afraid you'll need it. Last soviet item I bought was in 2006 if I'm not mistaken. Now I'm in a position that I'm too poor for the stuff I want but don't want the stuff I can afford.

/Kim

I found this photo of my old (and now gone) Osoaviakhim plaque. I forgot that, back in 2004, I had posted it on another forum.

Here's part of what I wrote there back then:

I was walking down a small street in Tbilisi recently and I saw this plaque over the door to an old apartment building. Actually, a 19th century home that had been collectivized. I was really surprised to see it and I had no idea what it signified, only that it was an Oso something. I have a small collection of Osoaviakhim items and, naturally, I thought this would make a nice addition to it, if only I could ...

So I mentioned it to a friend and when I told him where the building was he said "My cousin owns that building. Do you want that plaque?" Well, yes I do. So the next day they unbolted it from the building and tried to scrape/clean several decades of house paint off of this porcelain plaque. Maybe not real procelain, but I don't know what else to call it. It seems a little finer than just plaster, but maybe that's all it is.

Enjoy. I wish I still had it.

Chuck

This taught me more about the "Defense of" Societies:

Background of the Air Fleet, Aviakhim and Osoaviakhim Societies:

The new Soviet government initiated programs for the development of air communication and defense throughout the Soviet Union in 1923. To stimulate the interest of the people in aviation and to gain funds to help support air-related projects, the Soviet government sponsored the formation of aviation clubs – the O.D.V.F. (Society of Friends of the Air Fleet) in Moscow and in other major cities and districts throughout the country. The O.D.V.F. and the smaller chemical defense society (Dobrokhim) joined in 1924 to form the Aviakhim (Air and Chemical Defense Society). Within two years (1927), as the military took greater control of the Soviet government, military and other defense organizations (Society for the Assistance in Defense – Oso) were amalgamated with the Aviakhim to form the Osoaviakhim.

From a synopsis of FOR THE RED AIR FLEET – Soviet Russia’s Air Fleet Semi-Official Stamps (and) Labels

So ODVF + Dobrokhim = Aviakhim, - then - Aviakhim + unnamed (yet) defense organizations = OsoAviakhim.

Now I'm going to share my related society badges here instead of starting a new thread. I hope other members will do the same.

Chuck

My notes on this group, which I call my Dobrokhim Group:

Leonid Petrovich Filipov - Militia MVD worker - 4 photos pre- and during WW II - 3 Oso badges (1 Physiculture, 1 Dobrokhim, 1 GTO)

Top right photo is 1943, large photo is 1942

Enjoy.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

I found a few more things to share here. Two are Georgian ODVF and I think the third one is, too. I have never seen any of these three anywhere else. If you have, please let me know where to look. I really like the red ODVF flag.

Got a couple more coming up.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Here are a few more:

I finally identified the right item, thanks to the site that kimj recommended, as a broken-off piece of an early ODVF badge/pin.

Here's one of my best and favorite badges:

And finally, an Auto-Lovers Club, which I didn't know was related:

Hope you like 'em.

Chuck

• 4 years later...

I decided to add the badge -Prepared to the Defence of Country here,though i could start a new topic.I remember I had about 20 years ago more than 200 nice badges from period of 30th-40th.They have been sold or changed.

I want to show the Badge Superior 2.Period 1941-1946.Material silver.2-means for officers.I am offering the badge in the Russian forum-faleristika.info for sale,but if somebody is interested in it ,we can agree.I am sorry but the nut on the screw is missing.

f806e14a-21ac-4c39-bc35-9035dcf4dae7.jpg

34e67c6f-ac00-4301-bafa-b1b13e0e8e50.jpg

On 15. 9. 2013 at 21:29, Chuck In Oregon said:

And finally, for now, a 1932 Spartakiad pin. I don't know whether it is just a souvenir or if it had a particular meaning. Does anyone know? Kind of nice, either way.

Spartakiad Pin 1932 1000x546 low.jpg

Chuck

Chuck,the bagde is a souvenir but only for the members-partcipants of of the races,competitions...Nice and not cheap,I have to say.And what about the reverse-on the screw?

• 8 months later...