News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nigeria Medal list

Antonio Prieto

Here the Nigeria Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (this medal is often to be found without ribbon, but ribbon is almost impossible to get).

The colours symbolise the navy (dark blue), the army (red) and the air force (sky blue).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is 2 Commemorative Jubilee Medal, the Army Silver Jubilee Medal (with its original ribbon), and a medal I recently catch : Nigeria Navy Gold Jubilee Medal

If anybody has an idea of what could be the ribbon for that Navy Gold Jubilee, he's most welcome.

Emmanuel

This is an operationnal medal for which I never got any information at all : Operation Harmony

On reverse you can see the Coat of Arms of the Nigerian Armed Forces with the symbol of the Army, the Navy & the Air Force.

I got this medal in the lot from which I bought the River Niger & River Benue in 2003.

If anyone has more information to bring, he's most welcome.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is a medal everybody has already seen, the Independence of Nigeria Medal, but that one is a contemporary striking (crips détails & medal and the suspension not struck together).

I have to add that I recently saw the Nigeria 50th Anniversary of independence Medal (beautifull medal with enameled center).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is 2 very nice medal groups showing the Nigeria Operational Medals

The first is a group to certainly an officer : River Niger Star, Independence Medal, Defense Service Medal, National Service Medal, General Service Medal , Republic Medal and last the UN Medal for the Congo with 2nd ribbon.

The third,fourth & fifth of its medal are related to the Nigerian Civil War or Biafra War.

The 2nd group most probably to a N.C.O. : Republic Medal, General Service Medal, National Service Medal & Defense Service Medal.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Text refer to a full serie of awards for the Nigeria Prison Service.

I ounce got an "un-recorded" one : Nigeria Prison Service Cross (it came with this green/white/green ribbon, much narrow than the ribbon for Independence Medal).

No idea if the correct ribbon or not.

If any body has comments to make, again he's most welcome to.

Pictures of officers from the Nigeria Prison Service would be helpfull.

Emmanuel

Here, again Meals for the Nigeria Custom Service are not recorded, but at least the LSGC Medal exist.

I had a "snap" that day, and I miss it on the online sale web site everybody knows. The highest bidder (a custom officer from czech republic that had a web site at some times in the past), has got the heretic idea to cut the suspension knob, like if it was a coin !!!!

You can check by yourself from both pictures, the one with black background are the pictures that was on eBay in february 2006, the ones with withe background are those posted on his web site. Schocking !!!!

Shame on him.

Emmanuel

Here is the Nigeria Fire Fighter Meritorious Service Medal.

In real silver (hallmarked : T.J.S. for manufacturer & an Anchor, a lion & the letter U for the metal).

Anchor & lion are for city Birmingham & U is for 1969.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Heusy

Thanks for the excellent pictures and good detailed descriptions of the medals! Well done.

I have looked at some photos of the NPS, including some of senior officers on parade and none of them seem to be wearing any medals or ribbons. Instead some have pins, circular and gold or shiled shaped and enamelled over their left pockets, where I would expect to see medals worn. Pperhaps some kind of commendation?

Peter

PS NPS has a Facebook page - go there to see the photos I mean.

Edited by peter monahan

• 2 weeks later...

Text refer to a full serie of awards for the Nigeria Prison Service.

I ounce got an "un-recorded" one : Nigeria Prison Service Cross (it came with this green/white/green ribbon, much narrow than the ribbon for Independence Medal).

No idea if the correct ribbon or not.

If any body has comments to make, again he's most welcome to.

Pictures of officers from the Nigeria Prison Service would be helpfull.

Emmanuel

This is quite unlike the description given in the Honours (Prison Service) Warrant of 14 April 1972. This describes a Maltese Cross of silver metal with the outer edges joined by a coiled ring, having, on the obverse, in the centre, a shield similar to that forming part of the arms of the Federal Republic, the shield being surrounded by a laurel wreath and the uppermost arm of the cross having on it a representation of an eagle, and on the reverse, the words "FOR GALLANTRY" in the centre and "THE NIGERIA PRISON SERVICE" at the upper arm of the cross.

The ribbon is blue with a green-edged red central stripe bearing a narrow white stripe.

Megan

The medal you describe is discussed and illustrated by Antonio here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/38370-nigeria-police-cross/#entry356540, under "Police Medals and Collectables of the World".

Any explanation for the apparent difference? Early and later issue? Two different medals? Prototype and production?

Edited by peter monahan

No, Peter - that's the Nigeria Police Star (which is its official name although it looks like a cross!). I am after more information on the Prison Service gallantry award. I've posted the official description which is at complete variance with the 'Prison Service Cross' Emmanuel has!

• 5 weeks later...

Still plodding on adding Nigerian medals to my website.

Antonio mentions a 1963 Independence Medal (as well as the 1960 one, which I added to the site today): does anyone know anything about that?

Nigeria gained independence from Britain on 1 October 1960, so what is the 1963 one all about?

• 9 months later...

Still plodding on adding Nigerian medals to my website.

Antonio mentions a 1963 Independence Medal (as well as the 1960 one, which I added to the site today): does anyone know anything about that?

Nigeria gained independence from Britain on 1 October 1960, so what is the 1963 one all about?

Hello Megan,

Nigeria got Independence from the UK in 1960, and Queen Elizabeth was then Queen of Nigeria till 1963 when Nigeria became a Republic.

Malawi got independence from the Uk in 1964, and Queen Elizabeth was then Queen of Malawi till 1966 when Malawi became a Republic.

For Malawi it exist an Independence Medal 1964 (with Queen Elizabeth on obverse), and also a Republic Medal 1966 (with President on obverse)

For Nigeria no such things, just exist the Independence Medal (I had posted a photo of mine several years ago). That Nigeria Independence Medal has been striken many time after 1960. But yet there seems there was never a Nigeria Republic Medal 1963 (could have been a non wearable medal, in a presentation case to commemorate this event).

Emmanuel

• 8 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Long time ago, I posted a scan of the Nigeria Prison Service Cross.

Last months I got a Nigeria Prison Meritorious Service Medal.

As you can see on third photo, both awards use the same green/white/green ribbon (width 30 millimeters).

Diameter of the medal : 36 millimeters.

Thick : 4 millimeters.

If anyone may have a photo, or any evidence of a Prison LSGC Medal, he's most welcome to post.

Emmanuel

Nigeria Prison Service MSM obverse681.jpg

Nigeria Prison Service MSM obverse682.jpg

Nigeria Prison Service MSM obverse683.jpg