News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:This is a medal bar of such astonishing rarity that I never expected to see one--never mind in such superb condition! :jumping:

Peter Ohm-Hieronymussen (2000: "Die Mecklenburg-Strelitzer Orden und Ehrenzeichen") states there were only 269 MStMV2s on combatant ribbon for 1870/71. I have the -Strelitz Hof- und Staats Handbuch for 1890 which lists the 234 LIVING recipients (your man among them, obviously). Of those, I have already eliminated all but 80 of them as potential "suspects," having transcribed the Roll already, adding other known awards and so forth. All the officers could be eliminated, etc etc.

Unfortunately--I never realized this before :o the Prussian Ordenslisten did NOT list Red Eagle or Crown Order Medals!!!!!!! :banger:

But in 1890 there were only 133 living holders of the MD2. They are not listed, but there WAS a List.

RIGHT NOW with the work I've already done--never expecting to see any bars like yours--there is exactly ONE peron who it could have belonged to--

Wilhelm MARKAU

MStMV2 24.08.71 as Sergeant 5./ Gren Rgt 89

I have -Strelitz HuS HBs for (1867), 1873, 1882, 1890, 1896, and 1903. He must still have been in the army in 1873.

1882 and 1890: Gerichtsvollzieher Amtsgericht Woldegk: MStMV2, MD2, 70/71, PrRAOM.

1896 and 1903: Bau-Schreiber in Bau-Departement (Chausseen) and Berechner des Großherzogl. Kornbodens: same awards.

Although there is no other indication of which ribbon the Red Eagle Order Medal was on, so far he was the ONLY Strelitzer with this 1870 combination I have found. I will be back with more later if I can CONFIRM him, or add other "suspects."

Who needs Pour le Merites, with Spangen like this??????? :cheers:

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I've been through the HuS Handbücher and don't find any other government employees who match. That is NOT to rule out a career NCO who left the army with those awards and went into civil life. That is where a list of the long service cross recipients would probably eliminate most of the other now-79 (I got 1 more knocked out of contention).

The only -Strelitzer with an 1870 MStMV2 listed as "Stabswache" was a Hauptmann, so apparently soldiers assigned there kept their permanent assignment--at least for recording these Crosses. (21 MStMV2s awarded to 5./ GR 89)

If there is a list of what can only have been equally rare rare rare Red Eagle Medals on that ribbon... that would absolutely tringulate all possible suspects.

Edited by Rick Research

Hello

@Markus

Thanks for this hint. Wow, in first ceremony of this model :jumping: I never see this ribbon on this medal. This is a nice surprise :love:

The medal has no mark, but I can´t see the ring.....

@Rick

Thank you very much for your effort.

I know this cross is rar, but with 276 awards not sooooo rar.

But i did not saw another medalbar from a 1870er strelitz fighter....

regards

a happy Thomas