News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia Royal Houshold Medal type 4

I have just come across a Serbian Royal Household medal, Fourth type 1921-27, 'gold' medal, with crown, in case of issue. Looking at various sources I have not been able to find a similar piece, interestingly Car only illustrates a silver example. How rare are they, do they ever turn up in auctions in Belgrade?

Any help gratefully received.

Paul

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-3085-0-07538200-1378739095.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-3085-0-98843400-1378739075.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-3085-0-64452400-1378739041.jpghere are pretty bad images by yours truly

Paul

Greetings Paul,

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I have never seen a box like that before. Most of the post-1921 medals I saw were in simple cardboard boxes. How does the medal fit it? As far as I know only the Red Cross order had only the crown on the lid (can't remember anything else) and that one is much different from the one on your box. Generally speaking rest of the boxes from Yugoslav era had the name of the decoration inscribed on it or nothing at all and before that Serbian coat of arms. I would hate to be the bringer of the bad news, but could it be that this box is maybe for some other decoration, not even Serbian/Yugoslav? Is there any inscription on the inner side of the lid?

I believe that the 4th and 6th type of the Royal Household Medal are exactly the same.

On the front side of the medal is the House Coat of Arms of the Royal Family Karađorđević from that period (All three nations were represented, Serbs - Cross with 4 fire steels, Croats - Chessboard and Slovenians - Kranjska (Carniola) coat of arms) with Serbian crown from Nemanjić era and Order of the Saint Prince Lazar.

Edited by paja

Greetings Paul,

Thanks for sharing those pictures. I have never seen a box like that before. Most of the post-1921 medals I saw were in simple cardboard boxes. How does the medal fit it? As far as I know only the Red Cross order had only the crown on the lid (can't remember anything else) and that one is much different from the one on your box. Generally speaking rest of the boxes from Yugoslav era had the name of the decoration inscribed on it or nothing at all and before that Serbian coat of arms. I would hate to be the bringer of the bad news, but could it be that this box is maybe for some other decoration, not ever Serbian/Yugoslav? Is there any inscription on the inner side of the lid?

I believe that the 4th and 6th type of the Royal Household Medal are exactly the same.

On the front side of the medal is the Karađorđević's coat of arms from that period (All three nations were represented, Serbs - Cross with 4 fire steels, Croats - Chessboard and Slovenians - Kranjska (Carniola) coat of arms) with Serbian crown from Nemanjić era and Order of the Saint Prince Lazar.

It should be in the Yugoslavian and Serbian orders and medals book, I've seen a couple variants of this one in there. Just have to fish it out :D wasn't sure if it was all croat :D since they have a very similar design on one of the Croatian medals.

It should be in the Yugoslavian and Serbian orders and medals book, I've seen a couple variants of this one in there. Just have to fish it out :D wasn't sure if it was all croat :D since they have a very similar design on one of the Croatian medals.

That coat of arms even though not Croatian is with their chessboard. Here are couple of nice pictures of it I found online.

House Coat of Arms of the Royal Family Karađorđević, reconstructions by Aleksandar Palavestra and Dragomir Acović

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-7937-0-52327000-1378748124.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-7937-0-20839400-1378748181.jpg

Edited by paja

After an excavation campaign in my studyroom, I've found the book I was looking for: P. Car - / T. Muhic: "Serbian and Yugoslavian Orders & Decorations 1859-1941": on page 509, appears this same medal, in gilt bronze: Medal for Services to the Royal Household, 6th Model (1934-1941).

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Milos,

Thanks for sharing those pics with us. Can I ask where did you get that medal? Because I saw it in Serbia, I think that the ad for it is still active, and the price is a bit lower.

Edited by paja

Greetings Milos,

Thanks for sharing those pics with us. Can I ask where did you get that medal? Because I saw it in Serbia, I think that the ad for it is still active, and the price is a bit lower.

Yes it is still there but I have brought it. It had a byer so I needed to offer more for it.