News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imtiaz medal found among some Islamic coins

paul wood

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-3085-0-22406000-1379425617.jpgHere is a silver Imtiaz medal dated 1313 lacking suspension but with clear reverse inscription, it turned up among a pile of Islamic coins. Any Idea as to what the engraved inscription reads.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi Paul,

A friend from my Turkish War Medal Facebook Group translated it as:

Ottoman Turkish: Yaver-i hazreti şehriyar Emir Abdülkadirzade kaymakam Abdülmalik 1313 (1898)

Todays Turkish: Padişah Yaveri Emir Abdülkadir oğlu yarbay Abdülmalik 1898

English: Aid-de-Camp to the Sultan son of Emir Abdülkadir lieutenant colonel Abdülmalik 1898 (Emir might be a name or in this case most probably means an Arab Prince - Emir is chief of an Emirate )

Best wishes

Demir

Thanks so much Demir so a bit like Abdulmalik bin Abdulkadir.

Interesting thought Auseklis, would be nice if it was the case, however Abdulkadir is not an uncommon name and there were many emirates within the Ottoman Empire.

Paul

There was only one Emir Abdülkadir at that time in the Ottoman Empire WHO was no other than Abdülkadie el-Cezayiri. Auseklis is more than right. After the end of Algerian rebellion Abdülkadir and some of his followers were settled in Syria. The Ottoman empire provided him land, honorary titles and financial means.