News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Marcin,

the "Kaiserabzeichen" was instituted in 1895 (there was also a "Königsabzeichen" in Bavaria, Saxony and Wuerttemberg with the same regulations). The idea was to improve the marksmanship of the regiments of Infantry, Jäger, Artillery, MG-Units (since 1903) and the Navy (participated in squadrons).

The best Company (Squadron etc.) got the badge and all NCOs and regular soldiers of this Company of the Regiment were allowed to wear it on the right arm for one year.

Since 1902 the year was stamped on the badge. If no new badge was won in th following year competition the old badge had to be removed from the Uniform.

But as far as I know everyone was allowed to keep the badge as long he didn't wear it on his uniform.

I hope these infos are of interest for you.

Reagrds,

Leo

I found this page (unfortunately it's from Russia an I can't read Cyrillic). But you can see nice pictures of the different styles of badges and what happened to the dates if the award was wone more than one time.

You can also see the silver shield which got the chief of the winning company (not for wear) and the bust of the Emperor (with the winning year engraved) which the Company got additionally.

All combinations of Dates are possible, the actual date was the biggest one and the others were first added separately under the badge and later added on the sides in small scrolls.

As I read, the "highest" badge had 7 different dates on it, which means this company won the "Preisschießen" seven years.

The "highest" badges normally come on the market have four dates on it (they're around € 350,--). I never saw one with five or six dates .

http://antique-photos.com/ru/awardsdatabase/german-empire/prussia/135-kaiserabzeichen.html

Regards and all the best,

Leo

... and was there certificates, cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

in the last years, I saw only two bavarian (framed) certificates for the Königsabzeichen (1. Komp., bay. 21. Inf.-Rgt. 1911 & 4. Komp., bay. 13. Inf.-Rgt. 1912).

I've never seen a prussain certificate for the Kaiserabzeichen. A complete winner-list you will find here: Kaiserpreis (Schiesswettbewerb von 1895 bis 1913) – GenWiki

Best regards,

Jens

• 3 years later...