News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three Not-So-New Medical Badges

Chuck In Oregon

As I may have mentioned, I've recently had the time and inclination to get active in the hobby again. Hauptmann helped me a lot with that. As a big part of that I've been cleaning up my man-cave and organizing a lot of things that are long overdue. When I reached into the back of one shelf I found a plastic bag with these three badges in it. It finally dawned on me why they were there. I brought them back from Tbilisi in 2009. Very shortly after I came home my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, her second cancer diagnosis. To the back of the shelf the badges went, uncatalogued and unnoticed. As you might imagine, our lives changed dramatically and all my interests became very unimportant and stayed that way until recently, at the end of her lengthy recovery from yet another very serious problem. The important good news is that she's healthy, strong and flexible today.

So here they are, three badges I've had since 2009 but am just now sharing. On the left is a Military Medical Academy badge. On the right is what I believe to be a Military Dental Academy badge. I don't know what the small Alexander II badge is. I'm hoping someone can tell me.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-88968700-1379635460.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-03672000-1379635477.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-616-0-57640600-1379635493.jpg

The book is one of my best references on Imperial medical badges. I show the dental academy badge (?) on the bottom right along with an explanation of it.

I'm enjoying the hobby again and this was a real surprise find.

Chuck

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the right is what I believe to be a Military Dental Academy badge

This is commemorative badge that was issued on the fiftieth anniversary of introduction of "Zemstvo" (elective district councils).

Badge was introduced on January 3, 1914.

There were two types of such badges: gold and silver.

A little add-one about "Zemstvo" badge.

Silver badge was for officials of 6 and 7 ranks.

Gold badge for officials with ranks above or equal 6.

P.S. Chuck, badge description (although not very exact) you will find in the book that you mentioned (on the very same page 12) under #9 (you mistook it with #13).

Edited by JapanX

There was a time when my ignorance would embarrass me so much that I wouldn't post for a long time after.

Come on Chuck!

It's just a language barrier - nothing more.

Unfortunately I can't find anything on this mysterious "middle" badge.

When (and if) I'll find anything - I let you know.

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Your attitude and willingness to help are part of the best things about this forum.

Believe it or not, I found two more medical badges today. Same story. I had gone to Tbilisi in 2009, brought them home and immediately shelved them when our problems arose. This clean-up is like a treasure hunt. I also found a bunch of sketches and some great old photos, same story. I can't post them today. I'm about to get busy here but tomorrow or Sunday or maybe late in the evening. But soon.

That little Alexander II badge is a mystery, isn't it. I hope one of us can figure it out. One of the two new badges may stump you. You'll see.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

Most importantly, I am glad to see that your wife is healthy again! May she stay that way and outlive us all! :beer:

The Czarist badges are beautiful! So what it he badge with the green enamel center?

So what it he badge with the green enamel center?

This is commemorative badge that was issued on the fiftieth anniversary of introduction of "Zemstvo" (elective district councils).

Badge was introduced on January 3, 1914.

There were two types of such badges: gold and silver.

• 9 months later...

Chuck, now you just need the miniatures of these badges, they would look like these (old scans):

Nick, I allways believed that there were two types of the medical badge, one with gold and one with light blue enamelled snakes and cups, for different purposes, isn't that correct?

Regards, Lars

Nick, I allways believed that there were two types of the medical badge, one with gold and one with light blue enamelled snakes and cups, for different purposes, isn't that correct?

You are absolutely right, Lars!

I am totally forget about this :blush:

Blue snakes - for physicians with degree of "Lekar" (i.e. Healer).

Golden snakes - for military doctors awarded the degree of Doctor (by the Imperial Medical-Surgical Academy and Russian Universities).

So Chucks badge is for military doctors with Doctor degree.