News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hyderabad - Victory in Tunis Medal 1943

James Hoard

I have done a little bit more research on this medal from the former Indian princely state of Hyderabad and thought I would share it here. Tony McClenaghan, who wrote about Indian Princely Medals, has incomplete information and an incorrect date.

The Victory in Tunis Medal was instituted by the Nizam of Hyderabad to commemorate the British victory in North Africa. Although Hyderabad troops did not take part in the Tunis campaign, No 253 Squadron RAF (Hyderabad) took part in the battle for Tunisia, providing fighter cover for the army October 1942-October 1943. The squadron was closely associated with Hyderabad as the Hyderabad gift squadron, and had been equipped entirely with new aircraft by the Nizam of Hyderabad, who was also the squadron patron. The Medal is dated 17th Tir 1352 Deccan Fasli. However, Tony McClenaghan miscalculated the date conversion to 7th May 1942. Tir 1352 according to the Deccan Fasli calendar went from 6th October 1942 to 5th October 1943, so the correct date is May 1943 (not 1942), and thus ties in with the Allied Victory Parade at Tunis on 24th May 1943. Three classes are known - silver, bronze and copper. The copper medals were distributed as souvenirs to school students personally by the Nizam in Hyderabad. It is not known to whom the other classes were distributed, but one can assume that at least the members of 253 Squadron must have received them.

Cheers.

I have since been informed that a second Hyderabad gift squadron also served in the Tunis campaign during the period November 1942 - March 1943, i.e. 152 (Hyderabad) Squadron RAF. They were commanded by a Squadron Leader John Eric James "Jackie" Sing, DFC and, apparently, flew "Rhubarbs" :shame:

Hi James,

A nice bit of research you've done and the first time I've seen this medal makes this a very interesting post.

Peter,

Thanks for posting the additional information.

We don't get the most activity in the section but when we do it is often very worth while.

Regards

Brian