News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

POW listings - UK units?

There are published nominal rolls for British and Empire service personnel captured and interred in Europe by Axis Forces and who were still in captivity in 1945 - those who died in captivity, escaped or were repatriated are not shown.

I have the books fo British and Empire Army personnel captured and held in Europe, so if you want to post the number, rank, forename initials, surname and regiment of your research subject I will have a look on your behalf.

POW Questionnaires - completed by those surviving POW's at liberation in Europe and in Far East are extant and held at The National Archives, as are an incomplete run of Japanese administered POW Index Cards which last are written in a mixture of both Japanese and English

The Children of Far East Prisoners of War COFEPOW website has an on-line search engine for British FEPOWS, which will generally confirm if someone was captured and made POW in the Far East.

Hello,

Thank you for your very interesting answer. And did the British units also list the German POW's they made during their campaign? Such as for example when 4 german soldiers went into captivity from unit x. Did the British unit list these?

And iff so? Any idea on where that info could be found?

Thanks in advance,

Gentlemen.....

I read on a forum somewhere and I have been trying to find it, that there are index cards made by all sides during WW2 that were passed to the Red Cross in Switzerland giving all the details of each POW, no matter what country..... That is if the person was reported as I am sure not all were.....

These have now been made available to researchers and historians, I am trying to find the post as to where to contact.....

Mike

That's just it Peter...... They are on line or at least can be searched and that is what I cannot find.....

Mike has, I think, the best potential answer: the International Red Cross. Now if only their records are indexed and available on-line. Shouldn't be that hard to find out.