News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Sergeant John Charles Grimwood - Met Police

Some of you may know, that along with one or two others on here, I am a volunteer researcher with the British Transport Police History Group.

Recently one of my colleagues completed the first stage of a project to identify the constituent forces of the present day British Transport Police, so far 237 forces have been identified and evidence discovered to prove their existence. These include railway, dock and canal police and, even considered by the project manager to be strange, the police force for the London General Omnibus Company.

Over the last few days, the great grandson of one of these officers contacted our History Group and gave information about John Charles Grimwood who was one of their Inspectors. He also sent us a scan of a remarkable group photo of some 120 officers of the force taken in 1921.

We know that John Charles Grimwood was a Met PC from the 1891 census and living in Bloomsbury, London. From the 1901 census he was a PS living in Camberwell. On the 1911 census he was a police pensioner and lived in Hampstead. He was born in 1866 in Lincolnshire.

We have told our informant, who lives in Australia that we would provide further information.

Is anyone able to help with his Met Police history please?

Thanks

Steve

John Charles Grimwood joined the Met as a constable on the 16th February 1885, warrant number 70100, and was posted to E Division (Holborn). He left the Met on the 21st February 1910 while serving on S Division (Hampstead) as a station sergeant (SPS).

National archives MEPO 4/343/169 (leavers register) refs.

He received the 1887 Jubilee medal while serving as a constable on E Division and the 1897 bar while serving as a sergeant on P Division (Camberwell). He received the 1902 coronation medal while serving as a sergeant on S Division (Hampstead).

John appears to have been one of those officers who re joined the Met on the 13th June 1911 to police the coronation & was given the new warrant number O2668. He would have received the 1911 coronation medal.

Alex

Thanks Alex.....greatly appreciated.....I checked the Old Bailey web site and after you have confirmed that he was E Division, I now know that he was involved in a case of arson as E 397 on 9th January 1888. Many thanks once again.

Steve

In 1888 John Grimwood appears to have given evidence at the Old Bailey trial of Leon Serne & John Henry Goldfinch, both charged with arson. Serne was found guilty and sentenced to 2 years penal servitude, Goldfinch was found not guilty.

Below is Grimwoods evidence taken from the court transcript (OldBailey on line). This provides you with his Divisional no E397.

John Grimwood (Policeman E 397). On 18th September, about 1. 35 a.m., I was on duty in the Strand, and saw smoke issuing from the top window of 274, I came from the east, from Temple Bar; I ran for a fire-escape and called the firemen—the escape came about three minutes afterwards—I assisted the constable in trying to force the doors open, and rescue the inmates—I went to 275, and had to come back—I then went to 277, where Mrs. Serné was rescued.

Alex