News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Private Meek: 21st Lancers: Battle of Omdurman Charger

Private Rupert John Colts Meek is a confirmed “charger” and appears on the “Cairo Roll”, the “Kerreri” Roll and the “Hicks” Scroll and the medal rolls for both the Queen’s and Khedive’s Sudan medals.

He was baptized on 25 October 1874 and he had worked as stockbroker’s clerk prior to his enlistment.

Meek was pronounced fit for military service on 2 May 1892 at St George’s Barracks in London. He was 18 years and 6 months old at the time. He was single and his next-of-kin was given as his father, Mr. Charles Meek. The trade confirmed on his documents stated that he was a clerk. Private Meek was 5 foot 6 and weighed 126 pounds when he enlisted.

The 21st Lancers were located at Canterbury when Meek joined them on 9 May 1892. He served short service with the colours which implied 7 years full time enlistment and 5 years in the reserves. In Meek’s case, because he served overseas, he served 8 consecutive years and was a reservist for 4 years. On 24 April 1894, he passed his third class Certificate of Education at Canterbury.

His total service was 12 years in the Regiment. This was spent in England, India and Egypt.

Meek was a member of B Squadron of the 21st Lancers. This squadron suffered the heaviest losses during the charge with 9 killed and 26 wounded. They also received the highest number of gallantry awards of the four squadrons which were three Victoria Crosses and three Distinguished Conduct Medals.

Sadly, Meek died in January 1908 at St. Pancras Hospital in London almost 10 years after the famous charge and campaign.

He had never married.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-3034-0-81087200-1381832411.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-3034-0-24061600-1381832453.jpg

QUEEN’S SUDAN MEDAL

KHEDIVE’S SUDAN MEDAL 1896 – 1908 WITH CLASP “KHARTOUM”

The Queen's Sudan Medal was awarded for the reconquest of the Sudan in 1896-97. No clasps were granted for specific battles which included the Battle of Omdurman. Medals named to the 21st Lancers who were confirmed "chargers" are highly sought after.

The Khedive's Sudan Medal was awarded for the Sudan campaigns from 1896 to 1908. Fifteen clasps were issued with the clasp "KHARTOUM" being designated for the Battle of Omdurman which is also know as the Battle of Kerrari in the Sudan.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-3034-0-77921600-1381833088.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-3034-0-90409000-1381833099.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-3034-0-11685800-1381833112.jpg

Named medal pair to Meek in my collection.

• 2 years later...

Nice collection I was lucky enough to pick up Lt Clerks Czapka foul weather parade plume and pastel portrait he was signals officer and 2nd in command A sqn.

Clerk.jpg

Just a note on picture I was able to repair the damage were someone had added the plume to a foul weather cap

DSC03481.JPG

On 08/09/2016 at 09:09, lancer1856 said:

Nice collection I was lucky enough to pick up Lt Clerks Czapka foul weather parade plume and pastel portrait he was signals officer and 2nd in command A sqn.

Nice group, Lancer.

For my education, can you tell me, am I seeing a separate piece of headgear from a parade czapka or am I seeing the parade czapka with a foul weather cover?

Its a separate piece  of head gear, I think there are 3 or 4 variants depending on the style of Lance cap being worn  at the time . Other ranks had a cover. I think someone at the Auction house  saw the picture and assumed the plume fitted in a small hole. The whole point was to not let all the feathers and Melton get damaged in bad weather or battle and leave the parade one safe and sound in its tin. Which I also got named to Clerk..

DSC03118.JPG

• 1 year later...

Iam still looking for information as regard to the Officers 21st Sudan Plate made for the Officers but not issued to the other ranks. Dose anyone have any concrete information on its issue or perhaps a picture of the plate in wear. It is mentioned in David Rowes book I would like some more information on it if possible  

232c4830-e23e-4110-f661-2b1e740e7300.jpg