Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Boris

Ranks

Hello, I think at last I have discover the style I wanted for this British Badges work:

About this Style:

Paraphrasing the chef Ramsey, all is going to be cooking with a strong flavour to British Arts and Crafts Movement, with some continental touch of modernism, but calm with trhee possible fonts: Caslon, Constantia and Century Ghotic, the risk is not my stronger point as you can see. And all this, under a not too colorfull bed of nice and paceful

textures. The kepchup will be servet at the end.

Well, sincerely, I don't think Ramsey should be able to say such screwup. Me yes.

I will try to do something like this. I had a work about type fonts in WW1 times, that I want to call from the grave and post in the forum.

Salud

Boris

Hello

Home Sweet Home.

I have some improvements that maybe should interested somebody:

To introduce some text taked mainly of wikipedia sources or my owns.

I have decide to retard the PDF untill new improvements are ready.

Regards

Hi Boris! The PDF looks great!

I just got a pair of British WW1 ADC shoulder boards and am trying to figure out what ranks they were for because they do not come with any rank insignia. You can take a look at them at the thread I posted here http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/61866-shoulder-boards-for-the-aide-de-camp-to-king-george-v/

Hope you can help me out with this!

We begin with the Regulations:

24. C o c k e d H a t s . — C o c k e d hats will be of black silk. Dimensions for medium size :—
The left side 6£ inches high, the right side 5$ inches ; each corner 4j inches long.
On the right side, a black silk cockade with a loop fastened by a button ; at each corner, a bullion tassel,
consisting (except where otherwise stated) of nine gold bullions and eleven crimson bullions under them, I f
inches long, exclusive of the head; midway between the loop and tassel, front and back, a band of If-inch black
braid of oak-leaf pattern.
25. C o l l a r s . — T h e collars of tunics, frock-coats, and jackets will, unless otherwise stated, be cut square at
the top in front, and fastened with two hooks and eyes; a silk tab sewn on inside. The height is not to exceed
2 inches. ,
White linen collars are worn with the service dress jacket, serge frock, and mess dress. With white or
khaki drill frocks they are optional, but all officers of a unit must be dressed alike. The collar is not to show
more than J-inch above the uniform. Collars are worn by the 7th Hussars and Oxfordshire and Buckingham­
shire Light Infantry with the frock coat.
26. D e p t h o f S k i r t s . — T h e skirts of tunics for officers 5 feet 9 inches in height will be :—
For all officers except those of Cavalry and Rifle regiments, 10 inches—For officers of Cavalry and
Rifle regiments, 9 inches. The skirts of frock coats will reach to the knees.
27 F r O C k - C o a t , U n i v e r s a l . — H i g h l a n d , Rifle, and West India Regiments excepted.—Blue cloth, double
breasted, with stand-up collar; plain sleeves with two small buttons and button holes at the bottom; two rows
of regimental buttons down the front, six in each row at equal distances, the distance between the rows 8 inches
at the top and 4£ inches at the bottom, these measurements are not to be exceeded; flaps behind 10 inches deep,
one button on each flap and one on each side of the waist; the skirt to reach to the knees and to be lined;
shoulder-straps of cloth the same material as the garment attached by an under-piece passed through a loop on
the lower part of the shoulder, fastened at the top by a small button which passes through both under-piece and
shoulder-strap; the top of the strap is triangular.
Collar badges, according to unit. Badges of rank in gold embroidery, on shoulder straps.

S T A F F
Aides-de-Camp to the King ... ... ... ... ... ...
Aides-de-Camp General to the King... ... ...
Equerries to the King ... ... ... ... ... ...
Extra Equerries to the King ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Honorary Physicians and Honorary Surgeons to the King ... ... ... ... ...
Equerries to Queen Alexandra
"Equerries to the Prince of Wales
Equerries to other Members of the Royal Family ...
Staff of the Lieut.-General and General Governor of Ireland ... ... ... ... .
Personal Staff of Governors-General and Colonial Governors ... ... ...
Military Members of the Army Council, the Inspector General of the Forces, and the I.G of the Oversea Forces ...
Staff Offioers ...

Part II—STAFF-
A I D E S - D E - C A M P TO THE KING.
FULL DRESS.
68. Cocked Hat.—As described in para. 24, with loop of gold plaited gimp; half ball netted button.
69. Flume.—Bed and white upright swan feathers, 6 inches long, the red feathers, 8 inches long at the
bottom.
70. Tunic.—Scarlet cloth, with bluecloth collar and cuffs, and skirt 12 inches deep for an officer 5 feet
9 inches in height, with a proportionate variation for any difference in height. On each side in front, eight
straight loops of scarlet mohair cord°, 4 inches long, five of them above the waist on the left side with buttons,
the rest without. A gold embroidered frog-drop loop on each side of the collar. Round cuffs, 3 inches deep.
A scarlet flap on each sleeve, with three embroidered loops and buttons, each loop l i incbes long exclusive of
the drop. A scarlet flap on each back skirt, with two loops and buttons similar to those on the sleeve; two
buttons on the waist behind. The collar, caffs, flaps, and back skirts edged with white cloth, i-inch wide, and
the skirts lined with white. A pocket inside the left breast and inside each skirt behind. The tunic fastens
with hooks and eyes.
71. Aiguillette.- -A gold aiguillette, 1-inch wire cord, gilt metal tags at ends of plaits, the plaits and cords,
front and back are joined together by a short gold braid strap, in which is worked a button hole. The aiguillette
will be worn on the right shoulder on all occasions with the tunic and frock coat, and will be attached to the
garment by a button under the outer end of the shoulder cord; it will also be worn with regimental uniform
(tonic and frock coat) by officers doing duty with their corps.
72. Shoulder Cords.—With A.D.C.'s uniform. Gold wire cord, 1/4 inch, plaited centre, two rows of
straight cord round the plait, knotted wings. On the shoulder cords, the Royal Cypher and Crown, universal
pattern, in dull silver; no badges of rank.
With regimental uniform ; regimental pattern with usual badges of rank.
78. Lace.—Gold, oak-leaf pattern.
74. Buttons.—Burnished. The Garter and Motto surmounted by the Crown. Within the Garter the
Royal Cypher. The whole of the device "mounted."
75. Trousers and Pantaloons.—Blue cloth, with l§-inch scarlet cloth stripes down the side seams.
76. Boots.—When mounted, butcher boots; when dismounted, Wellington boots.
77. Spurs.—Jack spurs and box spurs. Swan neck, steel.
78. Sash.—Gold web, 2£ inches wide, with seven crimson stripes J-inch wide, gold and crimson tassels
with round heads 10 inches long from the top of the head, worn round the waist and fastened at the left side
with gilt wire 4 bar buckles, hook and bar.
79. Sword.—Mameluke gilt hilt, with device of the Royal Cypher and Crown; ivory grip, scimitar blade.
80. Scabbard.—Steel, with gilt or gilding metal mountings.
81. Sword Belt.—Web waist belt with black leather furniture and dees for slings.
82. Sword Slings.—Russia leather, 1 inch wide, gold laced, flat billets and gilt studs.
88. Sword Knot.—Gold and crimson lace strap, with gold acorn.

EQUERRIES TO THE KING.
105. The uniform of the King's Equerries is the same as that described for His Majesty's Aides-de-Camp,
with the following exceptions:—
Full dress tunic.—On each side in front above the waist, four embroidered frog-drop loops, graduated
in length from the shoulders to a sufficient height above the waist to admit of the sash being
worn. Four embroidered loops and buttons on the sleeve instead of three. The full dress 2 0
aiguillette is not detached from the shoulder cord. Miniature Royal Cyphers and Crowns are
worn on the tags.
Undress tunic.—Similar to the full dress tunic but fastened with the 5 buttons down the front instead
of hooks and eyes, and without the 4 embroidered frog drop loops on each side of the front.
An aiguillette similar to the full dress pattern, but of A-inch cord, is worn with the serge
frock. It will be detached from the shoulder straps.

Edited by Boris

This regulations are from 1902 and 1913.

Well, the only previous mistake is that the King's Crown wasn't a rank badge for major.

The Royal Cypher likes me silver 100% (800mm?) by the ripple shape has adopt. It likes in very good conditions.

I have include up the aides-de-camp to the King Full Dress and regulations description.

If you have any doubt, please ask.

Boris

Edited by Boris

About news in the work, it is very similar to a mortgage in his walking for our lifes. I think the son of the son of my son will finish it at last.

Now I have decided to covert a point really in the darkness for me: Buttons:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-4508-0-69668300-1394242314.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-4508-0-96419400-1394242332.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-4508-0-93410900-1394242347.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-4508-0-69299700-1394242367.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-4508-0-88107600-1394242375.jpg

I forgot that in ww1 begin the use of leather buttons, very likes to the ones use in the civil great-coat call "Austriaco" or the british ww2 "thinchera", s the british military policeman (interpret by the great Trevor Howard) use in the film "The third man" from Orson wells. I think the "Austriaco" must come from Austria.

No, here must be a mistake, I will test those last afirmations

Regards

Boris

Edited by Boris

Hi Boris! The PDF looks great!

I just got a pair of British WW1 ADC shoulder boards and am trying to figure out what ranks they were for because they do not come with any rank insignia. You can take a look at them at the thread I posted here http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/61866-shoulder-boards-for-the-aide-de-camp-to-king-george-v/

Hope you can help me out with this!

About the rank, we can't know it just with the shoulder boards. I'm going to explain it graphically, when possible.

Regards