News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed to ID these shoulder straps and other info

first pic. from the left :

- left shoulder strap : 3rd East Prussian Field Artillery Regt. No. 79 from Osterode / East Prussia

- right one : Royal Saxon 1st ( Life Guard ) Grenadier Regt. No. 100 from Dresden *

second picture from the left is nice pair of shoulder straps for Driver Corps' leather jacket ( Kraftfahrer )

I don't knot anything about that oval strap , which doesn't look German to me , perhaps maybe something from .... short post WW I period ( ?? - no idea at all )

best regards

Kornel

* please confirm with Chip or other members on the forum , there are some professionals here !

Kornel did a good job of identification, but the second strap with the "AR" is actually from the Dragoner Regiment König Albert von Sachsen (Ostpreußisches) Nr.10. I have a M1915 example and the cypher and crown are identical.

A Feldartillerie regiment would have had a "bursting bomb" on the shoulder strap. The strap with the rounded end is British or Commonwealth from the five button Service Dress (SD) drab uniform.

Your best bet for finding out who the field artillery and cavalry units faced is to look at the "Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army..." (which you can download on-line). The Kraftfahr boards are a general pattern and are not traceable. The FAR 79 spent the entire war with the 41st Division. Starting out on the Eastern Front, it came to the Western Front toward the end of February 1917 and remained in various parts of France and Belgium (Arras, Albert, Flanders, Argonne) for the remainder of the war. Elements of the 10th Dragoons were also in the 41st Division throughout the war. So it looks like those two pieces were grabbed at approximately the same time.

Chip

Hi Chip

thanks for clearing that up for me and giving me the link to the other research.I have posted that odd shoulder board on the British section and have a reply that it is not British but possibly German also I have posted on the Turkish section also you never know.So if any one can nail that strap for me that would be great.

Cheers Rob

Hi Chip

thanks for clearing that up for me and giving me the link to the other research.I have posted that odd shoulder board on the British section and have a reply that it is not British but possibly German also I have posted on the Turkish section also you never know.So if any one can nail that strap for me that would be great.

Cheers Rob

Rob,

I can tell you that the "odd" shoulder board is definitely not a WWI German example. Perhaps it is Belgian, as I know they wore some uniforms made from British cloth.

Chip

Hi Chip

Cheers Rob

Rob,

The answer you got on the British Boards was IMO quite wrong.

The board on the left could very well be British, Canadian or even Australian. This is the type from the SD jackets manufactured in all those countries.

A soldier may have taken a strap off his own jacket or that of a friend????

What is wrapped around the base??? It looks like a wound badge?

Joe Sweeney

Edited by Joe Sweeney

Thanks for backing me up Joe. I was beginning to doubt my first impression. I guess the guys on the British forum are all WWII collectors. :rolleyes:

Chip

Chip,

Seems I haven't convinced anyone on the Brit board----can't attribute the braid to Commonwealth but by the shape and color (If I'm seeing the color correctly) could be any strap off of any one of my jackets.

It might turn out not being British/Commonwealth.

Take care,

Joe

Edited by Joe Sweeney

Joe,

I was only basing my guess on the straps of my British tunic. I admit I am not that familiar with the uniforms of the Dutch, Danes, Norwegians or Swedes during the wartime era, so I could be overlooking something. What do you think about the possibility that it might be a UK made tunic that was used by the Belgians?

Chip

It might be Belgian--But every Jacket whether American made or British made blouse or jacket used by the Belgians actually had the straps removed (????).

Another guess might be Portuguese as they did show NCO rank on the shoulder straps. Only if we could find an example of a Port. not wearing that sky blue type jacket and wearing Brit.

This is just guess work.

Take care,

Joe

• 2 years later...
    On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 13:58, Chris Boonzaier said:

Here is a scarce PIC of some soldiers from Portugal, unfortunately not possible to see the colors of the jacket...

xpowportugal.jpg

Hi Chris

Could you please inform me of the source of this Picture?

Are there more pic of portuguese WWI soldiers where this one came?

Best regards

P.

On 22/10/2013 at 13:58, Chris Boonzaier said:

Here is a scarce PIC of some soldiers from Portugal, unfortunately not possible to see the colors of the jacket...

Do you happen to know what this photo is showing, Chris? Are the Germans (or the Portuguese, perhaps) POWs or is this after the Armistice, do you think?