News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris - South African WW2 medals are named - and are therefore, easy to have researched. Paul's

advice on rhino research is good.

The medals are from left - 39/45 Star. Italy Star, British Defence Medal - only awarded to South Africans

who did advance training for Italy or, North Africa in a British camp, War Medal and the South Africa Medal - this one is solid silver.

He is a late War entry, with only the Italy Star for Campaigns. The Defence Medal is a nice addition - and apart from other Countries troops

who served with South African Forces - the Africa Service Medal is only for South Africans. During WW2, I think only Sth. Africa and Canada

awarded medals in silver. I suppose the value for a 5 bar group like this is around Rands 1000 (60 pounds $ 80). In recent years many of the

veterans have sadly passed away and it has led to a lot of these groups coming onto the market. Give it a few years and this will climb back.

Meanwhile, as I always used to tell customers - you are holding 6 years of a man's life in your hands. Be he British, or German, they all had to

put their lives on hold and run the risk of injury or, death. Have the group researched and let us know what you find out. Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...

He is a late War entry, with only the Italy Star for Campaigns. The Defence Medal is a nice addition - and apart from other Countries troops

who served with South African Forces - the Africa Service Medal is only for South Africans. During WW2, I think only Sth. Africa and Canada

awarded medals in silver. I suppose the value for a 5 bar group like this is around Rands 1000 (60 pounds $ 80). In recent years many of the

veterans have sadly passed away and it has led to a lot of these groups coming onto the market. Give it a few years and this will climb back.

Meanwhile, as I always used to tell customers - you are holding 6 years of a man's life in your hands. Be he British, or German, they all had to

put their lives on hold and run the risk of injury or, death. Have the group researched and let us know what you find out. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

thank you again for the large information! I have great respect for the efforts and suffering of all soldiers of alls wars and times. So I do handle the legacies of them with care and respect. Nevertheless I have -and I think almost every collector has- special interests of collecting and so I would give this group away.

Please excuse my poor English; I am afraid, I can't always express myself the right way.

Regards

Chris