News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Exceptional Medal & Uniform Group - 2 NEW PHOTOS ADDED

A friend of mine owns an Auction House in Natal and has been fortunate to have on Auction on Nov. 28th. this

exceptional group of medals - together with his son's M.C. Group. He has given me permission to use his

catalogue pictures for this post - the quality is a little shadowy, however, I think you will find them interesting.

Since our main Forum pages are not for selling - should anyone wish to contact the auction - IM me.

Brigadier General Sir Duncan McKenzie KCMG, CB , DSO, VD. is a wll known past figure in Natal and in South

Africa. He fought with distinction in the Boer War - went on in 1906 to command the Colonial Forces that fought

the Zulu Rebellion in that year. He served in the 1st World War and died in 1932. He was the Colonel of Natal

Carbineers.

His son's MC group is included. - he was Lt. Col. Alexander McKenzie MC and was also with Natal Carbineers.

This is the Brigadier's entry in the 1906 Natal Who's Who.

I WILL PIN THESE FOR A WHILE TO LET PEOPLE READ THROUGH.

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main group of 11. DSO , BSA Company 1897 - bar Mashonaland , QSA , KSA , 1906 Rebellion - with bar 1906 ,

WW1 Trio , Colonial Aux. Off. Decoration - South Africa , Commemoration Medal - National Order of the Legion of Honour

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6209-0-63694900-1382110229.jpgclick

MC Group to Lt. Col. Alexander McKenzie.

MC , 1914 Trio , WW2 Africa Service Medal and War Medal , 1935 Jubilee Medal , 1937 Coronation Medal ,

Colonial Aux. Forces Officer's Decoration , An Efficiency Decoration,

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6209-0-93270800-1382111014.jpgclick

Since his original uniform is included in the sale , I will continue and show this. Very useful for reference.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6209-0-22501900-1382111448.jpgclick

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6209-0-69651400-1382111598.jpgclick

Two hats showing a senior rank. One as a Brigadier - the other Natal Carabineers.

it's even hard to comment - so spectacular !

I love this splendor of higher class colonial world , with it's uniforms , local wars , hunting, affairs , tea times , beautiful interiors and gardens .... I would be happy to be there and done that .

regards

Kornel

I agree - it is certainly the splendour of the past. The 1906 Zulu Rebellion was suppressed with only Colonial troops from South Africa.

The 1906 Medal was the only time that an Imperial Medal was awarded to only Colonial Troops. He was the Commander in Chief for the

campaign - I would think the Knighthood comes from that.

Kornel

Oh, I agree - good fun! But mustn't forget: the Times is always 6 weeks late, blackwater fever and servants who will not boil the water hot enough for a proper cuppa. Bad show, old man! :whistle:

Peter

With all due respect Peter , but somebody has to boil the water ... back then and now - do you think we are any better now with our political correctness and hypocrisy on the other hand ... lowering our standards , favoring losers etc. in the name of humanity ( of course always somebody pays !! ) .

That old world at least created and left something beautiful , some higher standards , universal values - not this multi-culti kitsch we have now , being almost servants within our own cultural circle ... blaming ourselves for everything .... this is auto destruction ...

Somebody has to rule , and there is no chance everybody to be happy on this world , but if I have a choice I would rather give my had for the king or Kaiser then for what we have now ( never ) .

As history teaches , we can't built anything better on the rubbles of destroyed old world and most of the time yesterday's victims are much more brutal tomorrow's butchers ...

it's not my intention to insult anybody but if I did - my deep apologies

best friendly regards

Kornel

ps. I know it's not the right time and place to have this never ending semi political discussions , all I wanted to is , that the world is NOT perfect , never was and never will be and we should .... not should , we HAVE to take care of our tradition and western world values instead of apologizing for everything happened in the past , because modern barbarians ( whoever they are ) will eat us alive pretty soon