News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Officers in the Bundeswehr?

Not that anyone asked (or possibly cares), but there were also several Imperial Army veterans in the East German armed forces. However, the East Germans and their Soviet masters did not permit the wearing of any Imperial German, Weimar or Nazi era decorations.

Among these, with their known WW1 decorations, were:

Wilhelm Adam - ?

G?nther A?mann - ?

Rudolf Bamler - EK1, EK2

Walter Freytag - EK1, EK2, HHO3x

Otto Korfes - ?

Arno von Lenski - EK1, EK2, bMVO4x, SA3bx, ?MVK3xKD

Vincenz M?ller - EK1, EK2, wF3bx, TM5x, TWM

Hans Wulz - ?

Great research! That gives an idea of continuity: Service in four different armies.

I also thought of the NVA guys. There is a recent book on Vincenz M?ller, he became somewhat famous.

Here is more on the rather interesting Paul Reinhold Herrmann.

This is what makes him interesting: he has what may be a unique distinction. He appears to be the only military officer (maybe the only person, period) with both the West German Gro?es Bundesverdienstkreuz and the Blood Order of the NSDAP. Somehow I don't think the latter made it onto his post-1957 ribbon bar.

Herrmann is really a unique case. Maybe he wore the Blood Order - as usual - on his right pocket flap! :P

• 3 months later...

Not that anyone asked (or possibly cares), but there were also several Imperial Army veterans in the East German armed forces. However, the East Germans and their Soviet masters did not permit the wearing of any Imperial German, Weimar or Nazi era decorations.

Wilhelm Adam - ?

G?nther A?mann - ?

Rudolf Bamler - EK1, EK2

Otto Korfes - ?

Hans Wulz - ?

Excellent post dave!, I have great intrest in the NVA, so here some additional information:

Wilhelm Adam - 1914 EK1 & EK2.

Hans Wulz - Gallipoli Star.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting picture - as it seems that he wears the spange to the ek 1 without the ek! or do i really need glasses?

christian

No, your eyes are okay, he seem to have a black wound badge beneath the spange.

Wilhelm Adam - ?

G?nther A?mann - ?

Rudolf Bamler - EK1, EK2

Otto Korfes - ?

Hans Wulz - ?

Dave, There is a thread on the DDR section of Wehrmacht-Awards on East German Army RK recipients, which include Adam and M?ller.

It is at: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=144079

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

• 1 year later...

Here's a better pic of Josef Kammhuber, showing clearly his interesting postwar Bundesluftwaffe ribbon bar with Imperial awards. The two bottom rows seem to be all foreign awards, with at least two commander grades:

Kammhuber2a.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 1 year later...

Another example, Imperial service and almost Imperial officer:

Dr. med. Theodor Joedicke (1899-1996), Fähnrich in the Bavarian Army in 1918, then served as doctor in the Reichswehr and Wehrmacht (final position as Chief of Staff of Army Medical Inspectorate). After the war Generalstabsarzt (2 star General) and Inspector of Medical Service of the Bundeswehr from 1957 to 1962.

For a start, here is a blurry photo of General Heusinger with his EK2 1914 and Reuss decorations in 1957 style.

I spent the most time of my army duty in General Dr. Speidel casern.

When the name of the casern changed to General Dr. Speidel his wife and son was there to inaugurate the casern.

Regards Alex

I only found a picture from Joedicke as very old man from his death notice in the newspaper 1996 - I really can`t tell if it is the man from your picture ulsterman or not......

BUT

what I can tell you is that we sing a little song together now.... :whistle:

"It`s a small world...... " :beer: :D

That is a nice picture - and a great coincidence indeed... cheers.gif

BUT

that doctor is not Joedicke. He did not have the BMV4X. And he had a Black Wound Badge.

Edited by webr55

• 2 years later...

During my time at the Bundeswehr, I served in the General Dr. Speidel barracks, and had the honor to meet the wife of Gen. Speidel and his son. It was during the festivities to the rename of the barracks to General Dr. Speidel Kaserne.

Regards

Alex

• 1 month later...

What is the highest decorated WW1 officer to have served in BW ? I guess no PLM....

That is an interesting question! Certainly no PLM winner.

Of the "big" WW1 decorations, we have Hans Speidel with the Golden Military Merit Medal from Württemberg.

But if you take BW and NVA together, it seems the most likely candidate would be NVA General Walter Freytag who got the HHOX. I didn't spot a BW officer with HHOX, but maybe I missed someone.

That is an interesting question! Certainly no PLM winner.

Of the "big" WW1 decorations, we have Hans Speidel with the Golden Military Merit Medal from Württemberg.

But if you take BW and NVA together, it seems the most likely candidate would be NVA General Walter Freytag who got the HHOX. I didn't spot a BW officer with HHOX, but maybe I missed someone.

Two that I know of with the HOH3X:

• Hans Hückel

• Joachim-Friedrich Huth
    Two with the Württemberg Military Merit Order:
    • Hans Boelsen
    • Hans Speidel (WM3 am 10.4.17 an Stelle der ihm früher verliehenen goldenen MVM)
    Of these, Huth and Speidel had the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and the Merit Order of the Federal Republic of Germany, so among the highest awards of three different regimes. Speidel "wins" because his WM3 was his kingdom's highest military honor, while Huth's HOH3X was below the pour le Merite. Hans Boelsen was a Generalmajor d.R. in the Bundeswehr; I have no idea if he received the Bundesverdienstorden.
    Walter Freytag received the DDR's Fatherland Merit Order, but his highest Third Reich award was the Ehrenblattspange.

• 4 years later...
    • 5 years later...