News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

List of recipients of St George cross - Imperial Russia

AlexHK

Dear collectors,

We are looking at archives and writen records of a family members of ours whom received the St George cross in 1916 or 1917.

Would there be writen records - accessible - of the order recipients in Russia ?

Thanks you for your help.

Hello AlexHK;

Welcome to GMIC. You have come to the right place.

Regarding your question; I don't know if anyone has the complete list of recipients at there disposal. Certain award classes and serial numbers are possible, but with this kind of research it is best to start with what, specifically, you do know/have.

1) What is the name of the family member?

2) Is there a photo of your family member wearing it? Please post photos of it.

3) Do you have the St. George cross? Please post photos, front and back.

4) any other documents or letters from the family member? Please post them.

This will help the knowledgeable members on this forum to give you the best answers. They are almost ALWAYS able to tell you something that you didn't know before.

Regards,

Claudius

• 2 months later...

You have two choices

First will be this book

Григорович Н.И., Степанов В.С.
    В память столетнего юбилея Военного ордена Святого Георгия
    Типография Скарятина В.Д.

Second one

В. М. Шабанов

Военный орден Святого Великомученика и Победоносца Георгия.
    Именные списки 1769-1920.

Биобиблиографический справочник.
    М., «Русскiй мiръ»

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

great - thank you a lot for your help! There are also foreign members of the St. George cross (around 1800) listed!?

And is there also a book/source not in cyrillic script?

;) Cheers,

Jens

Hi Nick,

thank you again for your quick and great help!

And sorry, we don't know the exact date - probably the 4. class.

The name is: Johann Christian W i p p e r, but I think without a date too much work.

Thanks & regards,

Jens

Well, I looked through 1795-1815 cavaliers' list (4th and just in case 3rd class) - no signs of Wipper ;)

There were no awarding with crosses in 4th class between 1796 and 1802.

There were no awarding with crosses in 3rd class between 1796 and 1803.

Cheers,

Nick

• 1 year later...

Dear all!

My russian being 0+,I need your help.

I got recently a St George Cross 2nd class no. 27594.

I was wondering who was the recipient,date when was awarded and maybe the circumstances.

I did take a look at the first link and wasn t there. All the other links are in russian.

Please if you guys can help.Aparentlly was awarded around 1915.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mihai Zaharencu.

• 1 year later...

Dear Collectors, 

My ffamily has two pieces of St. George Crosses. I want to know histories of that crosses. Both are class 4 and serial numbers are: 

- 643-071
    - 809-616   

I checked the links above but sadly i can't read or speak Russian. If you can help me I'll be grateful for your help. 

Thanks in advance. 

20170516_114851.jpg

20170516_114900.jpg

11 hours ago, cazack said:

St George cross 3rd class # 306.604

Unidentified

On 22.05.2017 at 14:30, Karas said:

- 809-616   

809616 Магомет Гирей Лоов — Черкесский конный полк, всадник. За
    отличие в бою 31.05.1916 во время конной атаки на с. Окно, когда
    в рукопашной схватке увидел взводного офицера и двух всадников,
    окруженных неприятелем, бросился на них и всех изрубил, чем и спас
    жизнь своего офицера. 

On 22.05.2017 at 14:30, Karas said:

- 643-071

Unidentified

And here is my take on translating the citation for St. Georges cross. I wonder if other reputable Russain speaking members will correct me, as some of this military slang takes some knowledge to translate. 

809616 - surname: LOOV ; name: MAGOMET ; middlename: GIREY ; Cherkess cavalry regiment, a horseman. For distinguishing himself in the engagement on 31 May 1916 during mounted attack on village OKNO, when during the handfight he spoted his platoon officer and two horsemen being encircled by the enemy, he rushed them and killed them all with sabre, and thus saved his officers live. 

Edited by Egorka

7 hours ago, Egorka said:

And here is my take on translating the citation for St. Georges cross. I wonder if other reputable Russain speaking members will correct me, as some of this military slang takes some knowledge to translate. 

809616 - surname: LOOV ; name: MAGOMET ; middlename: GIREY ; Cherkess cavalry regiment, a horseman. For distinguishing himself in the engagement on 31 May 1916 during mounted attack on village OKNO, when during the handfight he spoted his platoon officer and two horsemen being encircled by the enemy, he rushed them and killed them all with sabre, and thus saved his officers live. 

9 hours ago, JapanX said:

Unidentified

809616 Магомет Гирей Лоов — Черкесский конный полк, всадник. За
    отличие в бою 31.05.1916 во время конной атаки на с. Окно, когда
    в рукопашной схватке увидел взводного офицера и двух всадников,
    окруженных неприятелем, бросился на них и всех изрубил, чем и спас
    жизнь своего офицера. 

Unidentified

Dear Egorka, And JapanX, 

Thank you very much for your help. Girey Loov is my father's mother's brother. It is so exciting to find history of crosses (at least for one of them) I also find some historical documents about him. I am not sure but probably first cross is (numbered 643-071) also belongs to him and awarded at February 1915 for bravery.

I put some information about him which i found on internet. 

31 мая 1916 г. Черкесскому полку, в составе 41-го Армейского корпуса, было приказано захватить село и железнодорожную станцию Окно. Во время конной атаки, первыми в село, во главе с штабсротмистром, итальянским маркизом Г.Ф. Делли Альбицци, ворвались урядник 3-й сотни Мустаф Дзыба, всадник Магомет-Гирей Лоов, ставший впоследствии поручиком и командиром Отдельной Абазинской сотни 3-го Черкесского конного полка в белогвардейском движении, и урядники Алджирей Бжегаков и Исхак Ачмиз, захватившие трофеи: эшелон с каменным углем, интендантские склады, несколько пулеметов, и пленившие 157 австрийцев и венгров. Как сказано в приказе о награждении, «...увидев взводного офицера и двух всадников, окруженных неприятелем, бросились и изрубили всех врагов, чем спасли жизнь своего офицера...». За эти подвиги, приказом по 41-му Армейскому корпусу Мустаф Дзыба, Магомет-Гирей Лоов, Алджирей Бжегаков и Исхак Ачмиз были награждены Георгиевскими крестами. 

May 31, 1916, the Circassian Regiment, as part of the 41st Army Corps, was ordered to capture the village and the railway station Okno. During the horse attack, the first to the village, led by the headquarters staff, the Italian Marquis GF. Dalli Albizzi, the third-hundredth detachment Mustaf Dzyba, the rider Mohammed-Girey Loov, who later became the lieutenant and commander of the Independent Abazin hundred of the 3rd Circassian cavalry regiment in the White Guard movement, and the order officers Algirey Brzegakov and Iskhak Achmiz, who captured the trophies: the echelon with the stone Coal, quartermaster warehouses, several machine guns, and captivated 157 Austrians and Hungarians. As stated in the awarding order, "... when they saw the platoon officer and two riders surrounded by the enemy, they rushed and hacked all the enemies, than saved the life of their officer ...". For these exploits, by order of the 41st Army Corps Mustaf Dzyba, Mohammed-Girey Lov, Algirey Brzegakov and Iskhak Achmiz were awarded St. George crosses.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Крым-Шамхалов,_Магомет-Гирей

MagometGeriKrimshamhalov.jpg

Edited by Karas

Thank you, Karas, for this fascinating account of the action in which your great-uncle won the St George Cross. I must confess I had a bit of difficulty understanding the details but one jumped out at me: why on Earth was 'the Italian Marquis GF. Dalli Albizzi' present at this skirmish? 

31 minutes ago, Trooper_D said:

Thank you, Karas, for this fascinating account of the action in which your great-uncle won the St George Cross. I must confess I had a bit of difficulty understanding the details but one jumped out at me: why on Earth was 'the Italian Marquis GF. Dalli Albizzi' present at this skirmish? 

Dear Trooper_D, 

I found some information about him on internet: 

https://www.geni.com/people/Marquis-Georgii-degli-Albizzi/6000000050530789896

Marquis Georgii Fedorovitch degli Albizzi

Captain of the Guards, Colonel (for 1920). In the Armed Forces of the South of Russia; From 3.07.1919 the head of the machine-gun team in the division of his regiment, from October 1919 the commander of the same division, in early 1920 in the Guards detachment in the Crimea commander of the Combined Guards Squadron. Killed on Perekope.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://regiment.ru/bio/D/121.htm&prev=search

Marquis GF. Dalli Albizzi.jpg

Edited by Karas