News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Sharpshooting Proficiency Badge

jshorter

Hi everyone,

Just picked this one up a few days ago and was hoping you all could confirm/provide some information? From what I've gathered, this is an "Army Sharpshooting Proficiency Badge, 3rd. Class", correct?

1. I was wondering if you can tell from the photos as to what time period this would be (after 1912 from what I've read)?
    2. Can someone provide the Japanese kanji for this badge, as well as the Romanization for the kanji (example; Order of the Rising Sun (旭日章, Kyokujitsu-shō)?

I like to catalog my collection with accurate names, translations and history/info, so any information you all can provide would be wonderful!

Thanks! :D

Jason

What we have here is so called first type of sharpshooting badge that was in use between 1887 and 1929 (Peterson gives wrong date 1939).

Your sub variation was in use between 1912 and 1929.

I'd say your badge was issued in late 20s (currently I have only one time coordinate for this stamp - 1926).

Indeed in 1912 badge classification that will be 3rd class badge.

If I remember correctly shooting will be sha-geki badge sho.

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. Jason, please check this http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58630-dark-blue-ribbon-medal-of-honor-with-four-golden-bars/page-3 - Rich kindly provided correct pronunciation.

Edited by JapanX

Indeed 1939 (right)

1939 is "right" date for introduction of separate design for NCO badge (oval badge that is on the right) or is it "right" date for introduction of second type design of the badge (that is on the left)?!

You see, all sources (like Nakata for example) claim that this (second) design was introduced in 1929.

Edited by JapanX

Of course it's not!

There are like zillion stamp variations (but badges from all time periods always have two (sometimes even three :)) stamens (points) on the right)

Nothing to worry about ;)

Can you please post full page of 1912 regulation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, everyone!

Just picked this one up today.

• Army Bayonet Proficiency Badge, 1st. Class

I haven't found too much history, info, etc. on the badge (only what was in Peterson's book and on Rich's website). What info can any of you provide? Also, is that the official name of the badge, or is it "Swordsmanship" as Peterson states? I know the reverse states something about 1st. class, but that's all I got.

Nick - you know the drill! :lol:

Thanks again everyone!

Jason

So, it is actually a Swordsmanship Proficiency Badge

Yes, at least judging by its original name :whistle:

Most likey it was awarded to NCOs for their "swordsmanship skills" and to privates for their "bayonet skills" ;)

Edited by JapanX

I did find this on Rich's website. Sorry, couldn't post the link...

Yes, as Oleg already noted, this is not original regulation, but a page from army manual brochure.

As far as I understand it describes three classes for this badge

NCO badge (silver with gold rim)

1st class (yours)

2nd class (same as yours - only with non-silvered helmet)

The problem is that there are later badges without any inscriptions on reverse and with different color schemes.

My guess - regulation was changed somewhere around 1939...

Thanks Oleg!

Precise description of color schemes for NCO badge, 1st class badge and 2nd class badge.

Interesting that official name of this brown color (that is so typical for japanese badges) is copper and not bronze ;)

But we still have a problem with two undescribed badges

a) completely silver one without any inscriptions on reverse (made in light white alloy)

b) completely copper one without any inscriptions on reverse (made in same alloy as previous - only this one is completely painted glossy brown)

These two undescribed badges belong to late 30s/early 40s period of time (judging be materials used and their construction).