News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Outstanding State animal ranger-herder Badge

Dolf

Ok, here is a better pic of J 04, only the obverse as the reverse is not really relevant because no S/N.

Anyway, the reverse of this one is just like the other one of J 04b I posted before.

One thing I just noticed, Jan, is that both my screwnuts are like the one of J 04b posted before, therefore in both cases different from the screwnuts of those you posted! :unsure:

Dolf

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the two J 04bs from this thread, side by side.

Spot the difference?????

Would this extra enamel constitute a variation??

I just got a J 04b and it doesn't have the extra enamel and there is no evidence it ever did.

'Course now I'll need both variations.... :banger:

I assume you mean the green color on some leaves on the right side of Jan's Badge.

In fact I just noticed that now that you mentioned it and checked on Dr. Battushig's book to compare. Both pics shown, either from J 04 as well as J 04b, don't seem to be green colored on that area!

Personnaly I don't think it's a sub-variation of J 04b.

Either all these Badges would originally have that green color (maybe not enamel!) that with time simply vanished, at least in all pieces I've seen so far, in which case Jan got "one in a million", or none had this green color, in wich case someone maybe thinking originally there was a green color on the leaves decided to paint it on Jan's piece! :unsure:

Just my two cents,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Nice looking award but I'm still partial to the Distinguished Herdsman badge. ;)

Hard to decide which one I prefer, from J 01 to J 04 (including the variations) as I guess I like them all probably equally, maybe because each one has its own charme...

So the best thing to do is to have them all ;):jumping:

Dolf

Personnaly I don't think it's a sub-variation of J 04b.

Either all these Badges would originally have that green color (maybe not enamel!) that with time simply vanished, at least in all pieces I've seen so far, in which case Jan got "one in a million", or none had this green color, in wich case someone maybe thinking originally there was a green color on the leaves decided to paint it on Jan's piece! :unsure:

Just my two cents,

Dolf

You may have a point Dolf but I'm starting to think there might be more to it. My Badge is in very good condition and there is no way that the enamel just came off in that particular spot.

I think Jan really does have a rare version of this badge because............."drumroll"

A certain New Jersey dealer (CR) has just posted one for the very "reasonable" price of $280.

It has the same green enamel on the right side as Jans badge.

More than a coincidence i think.

JC

Another coincidence, this badge is for sale right now on ebay.

It also has the extra green enamel......the plot thickens.

ps. only about 1 day to go for the auction.

Edited by fjcp

Well, I don't think enamel just dissappears, if it was ever there it would leave some traces.

We would see badges with half of the enamel gone, but not completely undamaged badges, with no traces of the green enamel on the leaves.

So I guess they exist with and without, ... oh no, another sub-variant, will this never stop? I hope not :cheeky::jumping:

Well, I don't think enamel just dissappears, if it was ever there it would leave some traces.

We would see badges with half of the enamel gone, but not completely undamaged badges, with no traces of the green enamel on the leaves.

So I guess they exist with and without, ... oh no, another sub-variant, will this never stop? I hope not :cheeky::jumping:

Jan,

So you confirm that in your Badge it's indeed hot enamel, and not cold enamel or paint?

Thanks,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

So . . . are we tentatively looking at something like this?

(J 04) -- Type 1 (medium blue sky)

(J 04b) -- Type 2.1 (light blue sky, no enamel on leaves to right)

Type 2.2 (light blue sky, green enamel on leaves to right)

(J 10) -- Type 3 (different design entirely)

(How DOES J 10 fit in here?)

I think there is a clear distinction between Terguunii-distinguished and Avarga-champion.

Now, as to what the award criteria were for each, I have no idea

Jan

I think so too, but what? One more thing for the growing list of questions? Is it merely a change in terminology over time? The issue is worse with the herder badges, even if you don't add in the provincial badges.

I so love complexity . . . . :P

• 11 months later...
    • 4 years later...