Gentleman's Military Interest Club
slava1stclass

Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory - Present Day Market Realities

Gents,

Currently available in the former Soyuz.  Asking price:  $30,500.00. 

The set includes a duplicate/replacement award booklet which the Russian Federation issued on June 2, 1994.  It's the first time I've seen such a booklet with a Full Cavalier set. 

He was a sergeant major and recon squad leader in a rifle battalion when recommended for his OGI.

Regards,

slava1stclass

PKOC Set.jpg

PKOC Set a.jpg

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:54, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

Currently available in the former Soyuz.  Asking price:  $30,500.00. 

The set includes a duplicate/replacement award booklet which the Russian Federation issued on June 2, 1994.  It's the first time I've seen such a booklet with a Full Cavalier set. 

He was a sergeant major and recon squad leader in a rifle battalion when recommended for his OGI.

Regards,

slava1stclass

PKOC Set.jpg

PKOC Set a.jpg

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:04, USSR said:

That’s absurd imho

Gents,

This group has just been listed on the well-known auction site with a Buy It Now price of $43,500.00.  While the U.S. stock market took a severe beating this week, documented Full Cavalier sets continue to skyrocket (at least in terms of asking price!).  Check it out.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Wow, that’s rather steep. Even in today’s market and for a full set. 

Here another full cavalier: Awarded to jr sergeant Mikhail Vladimirovich Getmansky (Михаил Владимирович Гетманский)

For street fighting in the very center of Berlin during the Battle of Berlin. 

One of the very last OG1s

https://sovietorders.com/product/order-of-glory-1st-class/

FF5190A0-B0AB-46E6-ACF1-EDB31360DEA9.jpeg

5E43C458-5E8B-4B73-9854-48FDDFF51211.jpeg

D1D90655-9D32-44CB-AD1F-DE47F60DDB41.jpeg

071D2747-6111-4FAB-A716-6385C1910F7A.jpeg

Gents,

An OGII awarded to a Full Cavalier that is currently available in the former Soyuz.  The minimum opening bid is set at $610.00. 

He was a corporal with duties as a sapper/reconnaissance scout assigned to an independent sapper battalion in a rifle division when recommended and approved for the second of his two OGII awards in late 1944.  That erroneous second OGII award was amended to an OGI some 40 years later - in 1984.  He was also awarded two ORS and a BM during the war.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Sapper.png

Sapper_a.png

Gents,

Currently available in the former Soyuz.  The seller has yet to identify the asking price. 

His ORS (included with the group, but not depicted here) OGII, OGIII and BM are all mint-issued official duplicates.

He was a sergeant with duties as a forward observer squad leader in a mortar regiment when recommended for his OGI for action 12 miles northeast of Berlin in mid-April 1945.

Regards,

slava1stclass

PKOC Set.jpg

That last group is amazing!!!!

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:43, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

Currently available in the former Soyuz.  The seller has yet to identify the asking price. 

His ORS (included with the group, but not depicted here) OGII, OGIII and BM are all mint-issued official duplicates.

He was a sergeant with duties as a forward observer squad leader in a mortar regiment when recommended for his OGI for action 12 miles northeast of Berlin in mid-April 1945.

Regards,

slava1stclass

PKOC Set.jpg

Gents,

And now, the rest of the story.  The reason why his ORS, OGII, OGIII and BM are mint-issued duplicates, is due to the fact his originals were confiscated at the time of his arrest for a criminal offense in the former Soyuz.  In 1971, after having served his sentence and probation, his Full Cavalier status and awards were restored/returned.  While his OGI was sent to the awards department of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet in Moscow at the time of his original conviction, his other awards were not.  They were likely lost at the location where he was convicted.  Although his OGI was easily recovered from its storage place in Moscow in 1971, his other awards had to be reissued.  

As a side note, based on the research I conducted for my book, there was a handful of other Full Cavaliers who were similarly stripped of their status and all decorations owing to their criminal convictions.  Like this Full Cavalier they, too, succeeded in their requests to have their status and decorations restored once completing their sentences - a not all too common occurrence.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

3 hours ago, slava1stclass said:

As a side note, based on the research I conducted for my book, there was a handful of other Full Cavaliers who were similarly stripped of their status and all decorations owing to their criminal convictions.  Like this Full Cavalier they, too, succeeded in their requests to have their status and decorations restored once completing their sentences - a not all too common occurrence.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Fascinating stuff. As a youth, I read (with difficulty), Solzhenitsyn’s dreary accounts. It’s gratifying to see that there were, from time to time, happy endings. I had never presumed that the awards could be restored. Thanks for posting. 

Mike. 

Edited by Mike McLellan

Very interesting history.  I am glad to see that they at least restored his military honors/awards after his time served.