News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen - "Für Tapferkeit"

Would the bar not be a wiederholungspange to show a second award?

Hugh

Here's a look at the wiederholungspange on the Austro-Hungarian Tapferkeitsmedaille. I'm not trying to insist that this is the same as the one shown on the Hesse medal; just that they look alike in two German-speaking countries. I hope someone can offer a definitive answer. Who is our wiederholungspange expert?

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

I was also thinking about wiederholung spange, but never seen one before, neither on other German awards. Was that medal even possible to be awarded twice or more times? I've seen a picture of a bar with two Hessen medals (Niemann's catalog, I think), but never "in real" or on ribbon bar.

• 5 years later...

That's such a great Feldspange with this ultra-rare, but inofficial clasp, Rudi!

:love:

On 17/11/2013 at 18:17, Hugh said:

Here's a look at the wiederholungspange on the Austro-Hungarian Tapferkeitsmedaille. I'm not trying to insist that this is the same as the one shown on the Hesse medal; just that they look alike in two German-speaking countries. I hope someone can offer a definitive answer. Who is our wiederholungspange expert?

Trust me, there is really no need for a Wiederholungsspange expert, when our Hessen experts - and all books on the topic! - are clear in this point: The Hessen bravery medal could not be awarded twice. Thus, no need for a Spange. Other than many Austrian-Hungarian "Great War" awards, it was unusual, to say the least, to award the very same award several times in the German states.

On 17/11/2013 at 06:29, Chris Boonzaier said:

Are they private purchase, or did higher ranks get them in a box, and lower ranks in a packet?

These beautiful cases for Hessen awards were official. From my understanding, it wasn't about rank. The cases are pre- and early war, and later, when resources got narrow, they switched to envelopes. It was most similar with Baden, where even the lower classes of the Zähringer Löwen order were awarded in sealed envelopes...

Edited by saschaw