News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Clean brass and make it shine easily!

Hi, there!

In my collection of badges and medals of russian submarines "Typhoon", more than 90% of the badges are made of brass (and hot enamel). You know the disadvantage of brass: it tarnishes quickly.

Each time I get a new badge, I wash it. I most oftenly use dishwashing liquid because it's very efficient to remove old dirtiness.

One day, I used this one:

On the following pictures, you'll see (in three steps) how this liquid cleaned and made the brass shine:

It's a matter of 1 or 2 minutes, simply using your fingers, then you just have to rince with warm water and to dry thoroughly . That's all!..

;)

Errr . . . . thats Brasov in Romania Paul :lol:

Brasso strips away minute layers of brass as it cleans and after a while the fine detail gets worn away,

as any soldier who spent hours polishing brass buttons will tell you.

My advice stick with the washing as in the first post, dry thoroughly and then apply a coat of ladies clear hair lacquer.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 6 months later...

Now, how to KEEP your brass shiny? [A few of us still wear it from time to time.] I've heard WD-40, which sounds ok, and hair spray, which doesn't, as it would be hellish to get off again if it didn't work!

Suggestions?

Renaissance Wax - reversible and great protectant. I use it on antique military small arms cartridges and muzzle covers.